• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Camping in Maine - York beach area

frenchblueC2

amusé par les flatulences
We're looking to do some tent camping sometime this summer.
I want to stick to the York beach area so we can not only camp, but park our arses on the beach during the day.
Anyone know of any places?

We tend to like wooded campgrounds that have at least electricity, maybe water at each site. And bathroom facilities within the grounds.
:p advance to the camping purists that want to give me crap about "roughing it"

I used to ALWAYS vacation at York Beach! My uncle is actually selling his cottage up there. Not sure if you guys would be interested in that...His cottage is about a mile from Long Sands beach...

I'm not too sure about where you can tent camp, but they have pop-up and trailer campsites along York St/Long Beach Ave. Maybe there is tent camping available there. Keeping track of the tides is important. Long Sands beach COMPLETELY disappears at high tide, but at low tide, it is nearly 1/8 mile or so from the road it borders to the water. Short Sands, on the opposite side of Cape Neddick and down by the center of town, is a soft sand beach that doesn't completely disappear at high tide, but that beach is always SUPER busy.

Another annual Maine vacationer here (last stay was 2003). My family started at York, then Wells, then to Old Orchard Beach. From then on, we stayed at OOB annually for many years. The miles-long beach, the pier, and the slightly warmer Saco Bay water made for a wonderful experience.

I don't have York recommendations (I was ~6 at the time), nor tent campsites offhand, but my parents' neighbors annually vacation at a few campsites in OOB and I can procure recommendations if you wish. For overview, this link.

dont forget to stop at Yummies on your way to york!

OMG yes! Yes yes yes!

Also, don't forget Brown's Ice Cream down on Cape Neddick, and The Goldenrod for salt water taffy! OH and go to Rick's for breakfast! Best breakfast ever!

OOB is dumpy as hell. We've gone camping there for the past 5 years or so.
Don't get me wrong, it has a weird charm to its dumpy, hickness, but I'm looking for a change of venue this year.

We used to go to York beach (long sands ftw) quite often in the past, but mostly for day trips. I've never camped up there.
My parents have stayed in hotels up there, but that's it.

OMG yes! Yes yes yes!

Also, don't forget Brown's Ice Cream down on Cape Neddick, and The Goldenrod for salt water taffy! OH and go to Rick's for breakfast! Best breakfast ever!

dude, wild willies!! awesome burgers.. my buddy also has a house about 6/10ths of a mile from longsands, let me know if you guys go up there!

Back