• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I've got a riddle for ya.....

Nerawkas

CEG'er
AHEM*
This is going to take some work for you gear heads out there. So I'll try to explain it as much as possible.
Car: 99 Contour Duretec V6 178K ATX

Maintence: New Sparks and wires, new pcv and egr, cleaned mAF and new filter, new oil (trans and engine) cleaned TB and UIM. All of this done within 3 months.

Existing Problems: Oil leak, CEL codes (ill post them later tomorrow) radiator light on

New Problem: Today i drove from torrance to annihem (sorry cant spell) a total of 27 miles, but today it took me 1 hour cuz of traffic. had the ac full blast cuz my dads fat and he likes the cold. i prefer to drive with windows down. when we got to our destination my dad wanted to stay in the car for 10 miintues with ac on. 8 mintues into it the rpm just dropped below 500 and the car started spputtering. its never done that before. as quickly as it came it went away, i figured it was just the ac sucking power form the engine,until it did it again. 250 this time! i thought it was going to stall. well when he got out of the car i shut it off and took a nap in the car waiting for him. out of curiosity i turned the car on about 20mins after that. this timeit barley started, staying under 700 and dancing towards 250 until it died. i tried it again but nothing. a few mintues later i tried to turn it on again and it began to sputter, i pulled the throttle cable and and air didnt get sucked it. i open the filter box and still the engine refused to suck in air. ok so i just chill and relax, and wait 2 hours. and lo and behold the car started. it sputtered at first but then began to idle nicely. but as i was driving home the engine started slacking and even the engine light began to flash indicated a misfire, right? well in 10 secs the light stopped flashing and the engine stopped sputtering i got home safely, but this issue is too great for me to ingnore. anyone got some insight?

Need the CEL codes.

It could be spark plugs, TPS, IAC, fuel pump, etc.... Need the CEL codes.

CEL CODES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
p1131
p1151
p0171

edit:
something new came up, which i think could explain most of it. i was listening to the motor today when i heard a sucking/ticking sound coming from the #3 spark plug wire and #4. im thinking that there is a loose spark plug? when i push down onto the wire the sucking goes away, but when i let go, it goes back, rpm however stays the same throughout... any suggestions? wouldn't hurt though to check the plugs.

well i drove it most of the morning today, but nothing really really happened until my brother took it out. 1hour later it died. now it seems that the problem arises when the car is warm, the engine would just refuse to suck in air, and it will just lose power so much that when i slam on the throttle nothing goes. also, i heard a knocking sound coming from underneith the car. im worried that the car is soon on its way out. death is immenent. guys... i really need some help here. this is my only car, and 2 of the families car, i really need this car. could the coil pack be on the way out? also im getting misfires too. please help

ive addressed the issues on the CEL replaced o2 twice, still getting their codes, EGR blockage doesn't make sense because I cleared both the passage in the manifold and egr. but now something weird just occured, i went to the car just now, after checking the plugs i had to detach the battery, when the CEL came back i checked it again, now Im getting P01151 P01131 P0305 and P0306. if i do have a vaccum leak, where can i check so that i can see if i have a leak? where are ALL the hoses i need to check. thanks ceg in advanced.

OK, all this in a nutshell.

OK, all this in a nutshell.

car knocks during acceleration
on hot starts and hot travels car has a hard time starting not to mention staying on
rpms drop low and car begins to stutter when hot
misfire on #5 and #6
CELs :look above:
now my question is this.
Ive been searching on the internet and on the forums and what im coming up with is it could either be a coil pack on its way out or the fuel pressure regulator. any input?

New Information:

Replaced fuel filter and pressure regulator, now the car doesnt have any problems on cold starts, and seems fine with hot/warm starts. but it seems that once I start my ac, power is lost completly that the car begins to starve for fuel. and it only shuts off when the ac is on, it takes about 15 mins of cool down before i can start it back up again. i have an oil leak so could something be clogging the ac system so bad that it drains all available power from the engine just to work?

my car did the exact same thing and while it was doing it i banged on the maf sensor and it stopped acting up twice now in four months

okay, i guess when it starts doing that again, ill try banging on the MAF sensor, although one time i did unplug while trying to find out if i had a vaccuum problem or sensor problem, but it still idled like no difference, i do have maf sensor cleaner, Ill try cleaning it.

just for the radiator light, make sure you have enough coolant. My light comes on at startup if I park on an incline.

yea, radiator light now turns off on start up, filleed 1/2 inch above max line. but for the other problems, im still clueless... still having to wait for a free day to begin cleaning.

How did this turn out? I have the exact same problem right now. Pulled all plugs, looked for chafing on the wires... trying some extra di-electric grease as the connections are not as coated as I would like. Looks like I'll be late for work... frustrating.

Checked every spark wire for chafing, applied more dielectric grease to both ends of every wire. Removed and checked every spark plug- white insulator with little bit of tan until the last one I pulled was black with sooty deposits. Replaced spark plug. Runs great!

Anything that might cause spark plug to die that could be an underlying issue?

Back