• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stiff clutch pedal

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
I've been seeing this lately on long trips where the clutch pedal gets pretty stiff after hours of driving. I drove from Iowa to Ohio and noticed it when I came into Indy. Then it did it again on the way home. I noticed it again this weekend coming home from the inlaws where the interstate part of the trip is about an hour.
My daily drive is only 15 minutes at 70mph, then it's off, and I never have the stiff clutch pedal there.
Once I shift down through the gears and back up to speed, it's gone. Brakes seem fine.
I can't tell you when this started. I hardly ever drive my car more than to work. Just recently it's been going on longer trips.
Any hints, tips, tricks?
Erick --

I have had that happen in my mystique before. I would suggest changing the brake fluid and bleeding the whole hydraulic system. just take a turkey baster and empty the brake fluid and fill. then bleed all the brakes and the clutch and see how it feels. I know when I did this on my SVT I got alot of nasty fluid out of the rear brakes and it only has 50k on it :eek:. same with my mystique but it has many more miles.

Rubber seals in either or both master and slave expand from use and heat making it harder than normal. If all works as it should I would not worry about it. My 95 GL has the same issue and had it for over 3 years now, did not fail yet. Though it’s a good indication one of the cylinder or both are tired and are on the way out. I would do a complete flush, giving it some clean fluid might help. In my case it did not help but it’s still going strong after 3 years.

Cool. Thanks guys. I was actually considering that, but I've never bled brakes in all my years of owning and maintaining my own vehicles. :blackeye:
I have some reading to do.
Erick --

Not hard at all. Follow what BrApple suggested. Get as much fluid as you can out and put some fresh fluid in. Bleed one corner at the time until it flows clean of air and dirt. Watch reservoir not to run it empty as you'll suck the air in. Use clear hose so you can see fluid coming out. Once you finish brakes go to clutch.
2 person system works well.
1. Get someone to pump pedal till its firm and hold.
2. Release the bleeder valve till pedal goes down again.
3. Close bleeder valve.
Repeat until satisfied with fluid quality coming out and there are no air bubbles.

a self bleeder is also very helpful. you can get them at harbor freight for a good price. works the same way, you open the bleeder and pump the pedal. although I feel the two person method does a better job.

i always thought it was cause my left leg wasnt used to pushing the clutch due to constant speed/cruise.....hmm, maybe i'll have to do this after the 3L is done.

Back