• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tie Rods

milleniahead

CEG'er
Should u replace both inner and outer tie rod ends when your doing the front end?

Or just outer..

Im asking cause people say do the outers since they're easy and its right there, but does the same go for the inners?

do they need to be replaced? do you want to reaplce them? can you afford to replace them even if they don't need to be? what is your goal with the car? you doing the work yourself or paying someone to do it?

personally I would but that is because depending on what car of mine I am talking about I want to get to it ahead of time because I am never getting rid of the car. on the dd I'm not worried about it until I have to.

well actually here is my list so far, Im about to press the oder button, but just want to confirm everything.

Car is about to hit 200k in less than 50 miles.. Any more things i should add/replace lemme kno plz..

So far suspension wise:

LCA's both sides
sway bar end links (maybe the whole bar?)
wheel bearings, both sides
tie rod, outers, both sides

Now my question was for the inner tie rods and would I need anymore bushings, etc for it? also lastly are the motor mounts a pain to replace? if so imma throw that in there... and also are there any transmission mounts i should be looking to replace?

what you want to replace is up to you. on my 215k 95 I have only had to replace the wheel bearings and lower control arms and struts.

could it use end links, sway bar bushings, etc, sure. does it work fine and is it in good shape for a dd for commuting to work and the store, sure does so I'm not worried about it. does it need new roll restrictors, yeah but I'll deal with the slight bucking that sometime happens.

so test out the inner tie rods and see if there is any play in them, if so replace, if not you could let it go unless you want to change them.

on the sway bar the bar itself should be fine, not need to replace it.

If you have stock inner's and they are in good shape leave them, original ones last for quite some time if driven normally. Inners could be a PITA to change if you don’t have proper tools. I used Pipe type socket with pinch bolt on the end to pull mine. Outers are easy, just count the turns as you take them off. You'll still need an alignment. Replace them with good quality parts. Cheep ones fail rather quick, not worth the savings. Go with MOOG, Spicer/Rybestos or Motorcraft ones

do they need to be replaced? do you want to reaplce them? can you afford to replace them even if they don't need to be? what is your goal with the car? you doing the work yourself or paying someone to do it?

personally I would but that is because depending on what car of mine I am talking about I want to get to it ahead of time because I am never getting rid of the car. on the dd I'm not worried about it until I have to.

Its my DD and im keeping this car until I/it dies.. and by the car dying i mean it flipped 90 times THEN rolled off a mountain, then caught fire, then exploded. I finally found someone who would help me with the repairs so its gonna me and some other dude. My plans are to bring it back to stock form, i.e the suspension and whatever else needs replacing then hook it up (drop/headers/exhaust/optimized Y and Tb etc, etc)

So yea.. the inners are a ????? or something?

k thanks guys..

thats what i forgot.. roll restrictors.. Yeaaa hmm gotta look on rockauto and see if they got them..

and yea this is my DD but i drive it like I stole it everyday (within reason) cause i love it. I dont street race, or go to the track, im just a guy who loves to drive his car and use all the available horsepower it has at all times.

Inner are ok to do with right tools. Because ford original ones have no notches you need something like this. That's what I used. Slide over the tie rod, tighten the pinch bolt and use regular 3/4 ratchet to break them loose. Same tool to install new ones. There are other options out there but this worked best for me.

8159949.jpg

last question where would the roll restrictors be listed under? what part? Im checking rock auto and all im seeing is nothing.

Was it solid or did it have bushings? It wouldnt be hard at all to fab something up that was solid but I'm not sure it would feel good.

bar was solid with heim joint or something on one end as I recall, bushing on the other and was a replacement for the stab-o-shock.

Back