• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4E transmission fluid change

KRMan

New CEG'er
My daughter is doing some preventative maintenance on her 1996 Mystique LS with the 2.5L V-6 and 187k miles on it. It runs good but has an occasional hard shift with normal driving. She wants to change out the fluid to freshen it up.

What do you think about power flushing it? I have read about problems with this but have also read that most have no trouble with this method.

What about disconnecting a cooling line from the radiator and pumping it till clear and clean while adding new fluid to keep it from running dry?

I have read of the normal method of the three time drain and fill. Thanks for your replies!

I can only assume that nobody changes transmission fluid in these cars.

Most of us just do the 4-quart "drain and fill and repeat" process.

That's the best way to do it and guarantee that you won't cause any damage. A flush has the possibility of causing permanent, irreversible damage, and, IMO, isn't worth it.

Another thing to do is replace the TSS. This causes a hard shift between 1st and 2nd gear. Search TSS. The old-style TSS is black, the new one is white.

A flush has the possibility of causing permanent, irreversible damage, and, IMO, isn't worth it.

I have been having my ATX flushed every 18 months since the reman'ed was installed in 2002. If the trans hasn't been maintained for 10+ years and then has the fluid flushed out there is a chance that it could dislodge some deposits in the valve body and cause issues.

I have been having my ATX flushed every 18 months since the reman'ed was installed in 2002. If the trans hasn't been maintained for 10+ years and then has the fluid flushed out there is a chance that it could dislodge some deposits in the valve body and cause issues.

Exactly. The situation with most cars, unfortunately, is that the fluid doesn't get changed/flushed regularly, so there is a likely chance damage could be done.

Back