• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NPG CAI installation

Nezerconezer

Hard-core CEG'er
I've been working on installing the nautilus CAI today but for the life of me I haven't found any pics of where I'm supposed to cut. I've seen plenty of engine shots with it in there. Just no info on how this is supposed to go in. I just don't want to cut anymore then I have to. Thanks.

here some pics of when I installed my turbo...I'm not sure if the CAI is the same diameter as the turbo intake pipe, but regardless, it should be similar and is at least a good reference...

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

has anyone ever installed the npg kit without removing the fender?? mine is on the way right now and i dont want to take my fender off! looks like the underhood fuse box is gonna have to be moved..

Your going to have to move it, no way around it as you have to cut the fender as well. Luckily its easy to remove.

whoops, i meant without removing the quarter-panel... i dont mind taking stuff out of the way under the hood, i just dont want to take the quarter off.. thnx for the response. i cant wait to get it installed, its the first actual mod for me

the install pdf shows removing the oval, front bumper, the quarter and splash guards.. to me thats a little crazy, but i want to install it properly.. if i can get it in place without removing everything i will, but it looks like everything is coming off! now i can only hope for a day like today where its actually above freezing:rolleyes:

eh I didnt take my fender off of the car to install mine.

I didn't either. I removed the wheel and splash inner fender shield. And cut the hole and reinstalled the fender splash shield...and i was done. Took me about 30mins start to finish. It would have been done sooner... because i cut alittle and alittle more etc etc.:crazy:

I didn't either. I removed the wheel and splash inner fender shield. And cut the hole and reinstalled the fender splash shield...and i was done. Took me about 30mins start to finish. It would have been done sooner... because i cut alittle and alittle more etc etc.:crazy:

good to know, thanks guys.. cai pics to come next week, black on black should be nice looking.

I have a black CAI and I have to say be VERY careful when installing it. I even lined the hole with some rubber tubing and it still got scratched, and if you have to do anything that requires you moving it around your probably going to scratch it. Hope you have better luck than me.

I have a black CAI and I have to say be VERY careful when installing it. I even lined the hole with some rubber tubing and it still got scratched, and if you have to do anything that requires you moving it around your probably going to scratch it. Hope you have better luck than me.

I did the same thing, i just wrapped blue towel around it taped it and then aligned it in place. Once i did that i cut the tape and pulled the rag out. I also got door molding (black Strip) and placed it around the cut metal i had exposed to the intake tube.

Hope that helps!

I did the same thing, i just wrapped blue towel around it taped it and then aligned it in place. Once i did that i cut the tape and pulled the rag out. I also got door molding (black Strip) and placed it around the cut metal i had exposed to the intake tube.

Hope that helps!

thanks guys, ill def have to rap the pipe with a rag so i dont scratch it.. i already picked up some molding for the opening i cut so im all set there. now i just need the intake itself:laugh:

Do you guys just use a dremel with a cutting bit on it for this or what? I'm kicking around ordering one of these but I really don't like the idea of hacking on my car.

I used a pneumatic die grinder.

I didn't remove the 1/4 panel, bumper, inner fender. My car had no splash guard and I just unscrewed the inner fender so I could move it around.

I suppose I could convince myself to do that. Or I could just make my life hard and go find that spare battery relocation kit I have lying around from my Cobra project... Battery in trunk, ground to frame, power wire to starter... Hmmm... Then its pretty easy to just fab up some piping for a DIY CAI and not have to cut anything plus have a better handling car.

Back