• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

quick question

millertime86

CEG'er
its prolly a longshot but will a pre-98 4-cyl radiator fit in an SVT?

if not, wheres the best place to get one? junkyard? will any year V6 fit?

Radiators out of the regular V6 are the same as the ones in the SVT.

I always thought SVT radiators were bigger since they went obsolete and the stock V6 radiators are still available.

Copy and pasted from another thread. More mixed info...

Is there anyway to confirm that this is an SVT radiator?

yes measure the thickness, its going to be at least if not double a stock radiator. iirc its over an inch thick.

Radiators out of the regular V6 are the same as the ones in the SVT. Get you one of those. I don't know if they're the same from Zetec to Duratec, but my gut feeling is no.

I think you have that switched in your head. The Zetec and Duratec share the 1 row radiator that superseded the SVT 2 row radiator after a few years.

It would have to be but there are still SVT versions out there if you're willing to order them and not expect them to be in stock.

i just checked, my 4-cyl and SVT radiator are both 27"x17" so i guess itll fit. but you guys are right, looks like the SVT radiator is twice as think

should i go for it? or do i need the thinker radiator? they made it thinker for a reason right?

there are many 3L cars out there running with the non-svt radiator just fine .... but extra cooling doesn't hurt ...

If you can find one or order one in a reasonable manner I'd try for it but otherwise you'd probably be fine. A little bit of Water Wetter and I doubt you'd know the difference.

you can pick something up new aftermarket for a bit over $100 shipped and delivered the next day at radiators.com

If you can find something from a junkyard at a very reasonable price then do it but if not, an aftermarket is not too much and you don't have to worry able the possibility of scales inside a used radiator.

I forgot to mention that the one that is a little over $100 will be the thinner (standard v6/ non svt) radiator

there are many 3L cars out there running with the non-svt radiator just fine .... but extra cooling doesn't hurt ...
I don't see why anyone needs an SVT radiator...really.

Don't live off your temp gauge and think everything is okay...you don't want your fans running non stop to solve a problem. They work in sync with the cooling system for a reason.

Ford didn't waste + amounts of money to design a radiator because it would be FINE. Trust me auto companies don't waste money unless its needed.

The increased compression along with aggressive timing (93 octane) created a hotter combustion. Resulting in ford needing to add extra coolant to the equation for long term drive ability.:idea:Sure the 3L's are not as equally comparable (compression, tunning etc etc) but the added displacement still creates a considerable amount of combustion.

So try to find a svt radiator if you can. If not pick up a v6 radiator for the time being.

Don't live off your temp gauge and think everything is okay...you don't want your fans running non stop to solve a problem. They work in sync with the cooling system for a reason.

Ford didn't waste + amounts of money to design a radiator because it would be FINE. Trust me auto companies don't waste money unless its needed.

The increased compression along with aggressive timing (93 octane) created a hotter combustion. Resulting in ford needing to add extra coolant to the equation for long term drive ability.:idea:Sure the 3L's are not as equally comparable (compression, tunning etc etc) but the added displacement still creates a considerable amount of combustion.

So try to find a svt radiator if you can. If not pick up a v6 radiator for the time being.

You said it yourself, the 3L doesn't have the compression/tuning of the SVT. It is the same as the 2.5 essentially...
Make sure the radiator is not from an automatic. Those have transmission lines.

Plug 'em :laugh:

Back