• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Welcome to the next FML moment!

ZeroHour

Mod/Salad Tosser
So Glenn wins, i'm batting eleventy billion right now...

...on the way home from work, come off of 309 onto 895 (road to new ringold u-pull it) and I feel the caprice stumble, then I immediately notice the loss of power steering.

I new almost immediately what it was...yet again the fuel pump has crapped.

Round one, Fuel Relay. Swapped in new one, and it worked. Plugged back in old on later on, and it worked too. :shrug:

Round two, Fuel pump/sending unit. Caprice's are know to burn the stock wiring in the fuel tank. Mine was no exception. (hooray for safety btw)

Today less then 4,000 miles later fuel pump is gone again. If it caught on fire like last time, I will need another sending unit and fuel pump (~$450). Luckily I had a shop fix the car the first time for the fuel pump so all if it should be covered. But I had to wait two hours for a tow truck guy, not a flat bed, tow truck to show up. The shop he came from was literally 7 miles away. And he stopped at the gas station, right where I was stranded, TO GET DINNER. That mother %$#&* #$@@@%^ ^$^##$ $#$#&^ pulled into the station 250 feet from where I was standing for two hours to get dinner and I was left there from ~4:45 to 6:45 when he came on over with dinner from the gas station. Then I didn't get home till a little after seven after he towed the caprice to the shop. Also to mention he was speeding while towing a ex-police cruiser that still has the decals no less. What a numpty.

He was freakin lucky I went in early and got a slice of pizza at about 6pm while I was still waiting...:nonono:...had I not eaten there would have been hell to pay.

Needless to say, I am not a happy person right now.

Yes, all the repairs should be free of charge. Its not all too hard to drop the tank. Its held in by four bolts +wire harness & fuel tubings on the sending unit. Its just dealing with the 14-15 gallons of gasoline in the tank thats an issue.

I stopped in today and it indeed has no fuel pressure, they looked up the gauge to the test port. The pump is whining, but very weakly. More than likely the pump crapped out. :nonono: Bosch parts never again.

what. you used bosch? idk. i have always had good luck with them. what are you going to use now. whatever else is available?

hows the tour doing? did you get the transmission fixed?

Tried to get down to the garage yesterday to see the tank, but no one was there. and they are open on saturday.

They may be slow on work, so it may have only been the owner at work. He'll lock up before he runs for parts. So I just got there at a bad time.

But apparently it may not have been the fuel pump, He said there was a crack in the tubing in the tank. He wasn't able to explain it right as to where it was the top of the pump or the lower end of the sending unit. But at the same time he couldn't remember if he has replaced the fuel pump. Well I got charged for one, you have it out of the tank, so how the hell could you not tell if it was an AC Delco part, or a replacement pump?

So hopefully I may be done monday, and I may drop the tank myself to just to check the work once I get it back. :nonono:

If i'm in my usually streak of good/bad luck I'll get to see what failed because they won't have the parts in on monday. Which means I'll still need a vehicle to drive, as the Tour is going in for body work!

ARGH!

Back