• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

amp info

posthuman63t

Veteran CEG'er
hey huys... I don' tknow much about audio, but I want to increase my knowledge. One thing that constantly bugs me is not knowing the differnces between amps. Not brands, but mono, 2 channel and 4 channel amps.

Does anyone know of a site that explains the differences and what amp is recommended for which type of install? Everything I have found off hand really hasn't helped. I'd appreciate it.

basically i'm not looking to do anything. I want to learn about audio stuff so i can expand my knowledge base as far as automotives are concerned. I mean, I can and have hooked up systems before, but it was with stuff people have already bought, and I know nothing about what kind of amp should be used for hat, what kind of power should be driving a certain power rated sub, etc. Just wondering if anyone knows a good website that explaines some info on car audio.

really good prices at http://www.sonicelectronix.com/ and if ur going with subs you want a amp that is mono and class D. also look for rms in all speakers and subs. Cause if the amp doesnt equal or pass what the rms is on the item it runs then you will get clipping in your audio and it will damage your system. Just letting you kno sum stuff if uwant to kno more or have questions pm me.

I already have a system. Just looking for some information so I can learn more, because I really dont know much. I appreciate the links guys.

yes theres a link that gives audio explanations. i'm at work now and will post it later. i've found it pretty informative

Well a mono amp focus' on the low bass. 2channel is usually only for two speakers that you hook up but you also can use them for bass. 4 channel is for four speakers that you want to hook up.

anymore questions jus ask about anything audio

As far as the application of Mono/2-ch/Multi-ch goes...

Look at your car as having 4 channels of audio- Front Left/Front Right, and Rear Left/Rear Right. Same as in a home theater setup.

You can run a 2-channel amp to run either the front left/right or the rear left/right. This will run a LOT of power to the speakers, but may require a lot of power from your headunit/car that you might not want to sacrifice.

A multi-channel amp is built for just this purpose. To cut down on the total power draw, but provide decent power to all four channels. There are a few that will even have a separate channel to power a subwoofer, which brings us to...

Mono amplifiers. A single channel of audio. Delivers the most power, since it's dedicated to one channel. Used primarily in subwoofer applications, if it's tuned correctly, it will deliver frequencies below those you can hear. They also tend to be built a little bit stronger than multi-channel amps.

If you want to know more, and the Crutchfield site just isn't cutting it, PM me.

Guys, guys... give the guy a break, will ya? stop spilling opinion and inuendo as fact. Mono amps don't necessarily have more power than 2 channel, and 2 channel amps don't necessarily have more power than 4 channel.

first, the basics...

A channel is simply an output from the amplifier. For a basic stereo application, you will need 2 channels of amplified output, one for the left and one for the right.

Typically in basic car audio application without subwoofers, you will need 4 channels of amplified output, one each for the front left, front right, rear left, and rear right. How you get 4 channels of amplified output is simply a question of taste, and there is no "right" answer. You can use the 4 amplified outputs from an in-dash source (radio, CD, tape, DVD, etc) or you can use external amplification for just two (front left/right or rear left/right) or all four corners of the car.

If you want external power for all four corners of the car, you can use two channels of amplification (one channel for the left, one channel for the right) but you will lose the ability to adjust the volume between the front and rear speakers since they will be powered from the same source. To maintain the ability to "fade" the sound from front to rear as well as control the "balance" from left to right, you will need 4 channels of amplification.

These 4 channels of amplification can come from four 1-channel amps (also called "mono" amps), or from two 2-channel amps, or from one 4-channel amp. Again, there is no "right" answer. The determining factors should be budget, space available for the equipment, desired complexity/simplicity of the install, power requirements (controlled by listening habits, listening material, and taste; has nothing to do, yet, with 12v power requirements of the amplifier(s) to deliver the performance it is/they are capable of.).

If a subwoofer or multiple subwoofers are desired to fill out the bottom octave or two of sound that typical car speakers are not capable of realistically reproducing, additional channels of amplification will be required. the solutions get a little more confusing, variable and complex at this point for the basic system, but suffice it to say that again there is no "right" answer. It is also time to consult a car audio professional to discuss the specifics of your particular application and desires. Also remember that when talking subwoofers, it is impossible to get a good solution without considering the speaker and its enclosure as a complete package. An awesome subwoofer in the wrong enclosure will sound horrible whereas an average subwoofer in its proper enclosure can sound quite good. But what is the proper enclosure? It depends on 2 things: the speaker's specs and the type of music you listen to.

But I digress.... that is getting in to things other than what you asked about....

Let me know if you have any additional questions....

Guys, guys... give the guy a break, will ya? stop spilling opinion and inuendo as fact. Mono amps don't necessarily have more power than 2 channel, and 2 channel amps don't necessarily have more power than 4 channel.

first, the basics...

A channel is simply an output from the amplifier. For a basic stereo application, you will need 2 channels of amplified output, one for the left and one for the right.

Typically in basic car audio application without subwoofers, you will need 4 channels of amplified output, one each for the front left, front right, rear left, and rear right. How you get 4 channels of amplified output is simply a question of taste, and there is no "right" answer. You can use the 4 amplified outputs from an in-dash source (radio, CD, tape, DVD, etc) or you can use external amplification for just two (front left/right or rear left/right) or all four corners of the car.

If you want external power for all four corners of the car, you can use two channels of amplification (one channel for the left, one channel for the right) but you will lose the ability to adjust the volume between the front and rear speakers since they will be powered from the same source. To maintain the ability to "fade" the sound from front to rear as well as control the "balance" from left to right, you will need 4 channels of amplification.

These 4 channels of amplification can come from four 1-channel amps (also called "mono" amps), or from two 2-channel amps, or from one 4-channel amp. Again, there is no "right" answer. The determining factors should be budget, space available for the equipment, desired complexity/simplicity of the install, power requirements (controlled by listening habits, listening material, and taste; has nothing to do, yet, with 12v power requirements of the amplifier(s) to deliver the performance it is/they are capable of.).

If a subwoofer or multiple subwoofers are desired to fill out the bottom octave or two of sound that typical car speakers are not capable of realistically reproducing, additional channels of amplification will be required. the solutions get a little more confusing, variable and complex at this point for the basic system, but suffice it to say that again there is no "right" answer. It is also time to consult a car audio professional to discuss the specifics of your particular application and desires. Also remember that when talking subwoofers, it is impossible to get a good solution without considering the speaker and its enclosure as a complete package. An awesome subwoofer in the wrong enclosure will sound horrible whereas an average subwoofer in its proper enclosure can sound quite good. But what is the proper enclosure? It depends on 2 things: the speaker's specs and the type of music you listen to.

But I digress.... that is getting in to things other than what you asked about....

Let me know if you have any additional questions....
Finally, an educated post on this topic. Well done!!

Back