• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need some Help...

Reebs

meester super sleuth
Hey guys,

This is my first post in the audio forum! I am having a few issues with my stereo and speakers. I thought this would be a better place to post than troubleshooting. Anyways, my 98.5 SVT was in the shop for an entire repaint. Before my car went in, my speakers and head unit worked great with no problems. I bought the car with aftermarket speakers, but I haven't ever taken off the door panels to see what they are! Also, I am drawing a mind blank on the model of my head unit.

Here is the problem, they had to take my interior door panels off to remove the door handle for paint. I was told that they didn't touch my speaker, wires, or head unit. Well, I get my car back and now I have no power to my head unit (all fuses are good) and I can acutally hear my engine "whining" through my speakers which is REALLY annoying! The whining noise gets louder with the sound of the engine. I know nothing about audio stuff for cars, I just stick to the engine bay! :) If anyone could shed any light on this, it would be greatly appreciated. The body shop also said that they had to jump my car about 20 times (everytime they had to move it) because my battery was taking a crap. Not sure if all that jumping and charging could mess anything up!?!? One more thing, I have heard that some head units have there own fuse on the unit itself, and that possibly could be the problem. If that is true, where is this fuse and how do I check it!?!?

I am very sorry for all of my stupid questions! This is just reallly driving me crazy. The body shop did say that if I can show them that they were the ones who broke something, they will pay for whatever needs to be done.

Thank you very much, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :)

-Jeff

I'm guessing this means that the radio does not power up at all? I would pull the unit out of the dash and check all of the connections on the harness to make sure nothing worked it's way loose or is fried and I would check the fuse as mentioned above. Make sure you are getting 12 volts on both the 12V constant (always on) wire and 12V accessory (switched on with the ignition) wire with a voltmeter. If even one of the two of these wires do not have 12 volts the unit will not work. I would also check the speaker wires in the door to make sure everything is ok there, just to cover all the bases. Post back with what you find out. Good Luck.

The whining probably comes from the alternator. I suggest you to use a noise filter. This is little device you plug between you power (12V) and your headunit. It should filter all the noise that is coming from the electrical system. You can find this at you local car audio shop.

Hey Jeff,

What could have happened was the head unit could have gotten detatched from the wiring harness. Or the remote wire got disconnected. That might explain the power lose.They must have moved something around or played with something. Sounds like they moved the wire to close to the engine or alternator.

You know what, Ill take a look at it when you help me find out whats wrong with my clutch.

-Doug

Whine

Whine

The whining probably comes from the alternator. I suggest you to use a noise filter. This is little device you plug between you power (12V) and your headunit. It should filter all the noise that is coming from the electrical system. You can find this at you local car audio shop.

I stopped at my local Radio Shack the other day and picked up a "Ground Loop Isolator" and it completely killed the alternator whine.

Back