• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Glasspack

greasemonkey1489

Hard-core CEG'er
I would like to replace my stock resonator with a cherrybomb glasspack tube, does anyone have a better sound clip than the one in the stickies?

I have an SVT and I love the stock sound, just want to go a tad louder.

I would like to replace my stock resonator with a cherrybomb glasspack tube, does anyone have a better sound clip than the one in the stickies?

I have an SVT and I love the stock sound, just want to go a tad louder.

do you have headers? i have that, but with an optimized y pipe and headers, and i think it is too raspy

No headers, stock all the way back accept for a optimized y-pipe. I dont want it to sound raspy, which is the purpose of a glasspack i guess.

You might still have rasp....it will go 2 ways.....

1. Rasp when it's cold...
2. No rasp.....but drone :blackeye:

I've read that over time glasspacks will wear out and become useless. better off putting in a straight pipe then.

I had a stock set up with a glasspack... no rasp and no drone.
It gave the exhaust tone a nice rumble, loud enough to hear but not obnoxious.

I don't have a clip of that set up unfortunately but others have this set up and may be able to get you a clip. It's sounds good. :)

Yeah, totally different engines and such...but on the Heep there's only the cats and a glasspack. No rasp. Food for thought I guess.

I just put in the glass pack. sounds good no rasp, I wanna pick up some headers this summer, hopefully it makes it a bit louder but keeps that nasty rasp to a minimum.

I had a stock set up with a glasspack... no rasp and no drone.
It gave the exhaust tone a nice rumble, loud enough to hear but not obnoxious.

I don't have a clip of that set up unfortunately but others have this set up and may be able to get you a clip. It's sounds good. :)

Your car..is just weird....def not the norm :crazy: :laugh:

^ My SVT sounded nothing like that.
The clip that Beans posted... mine had a deeper tone to it with more of a rumble.

When I added a Magnaflow res (Round/tube muffler) in place of the stock one it sounded awesome. I had stock exhaust except for that. I'd recommend this instead of going glasspack.

I've had one of those also. I removed it and had another glasspack installed. Basically sounded the same as the glasspack for a time. The glasspack after some driving had a better sound IMO, even though both are a straight through design. The glasspack added more of a "rumble" on the downshifts and a nice sound on the up-shifts. I never had rasp nor was there drone with my glasspack.

Your car..is just weird....def not the norm :crazy: :laugh:

Hey, that's not nice. :laugh:

IDK, I honestly liked the sound of my stock exhaust with the glasspack. I like it so much better than the Magnaflow set up I have now. I have a glasspack with two Magnaflow mufflers at the back. Piping is 2.5 from the split back.

BTW Harry, on the way out to SZ the sound got louder. FINALLY! I like it more than I had but it's still a bit stealthy (quiet), sound wise, at times. I still liked my stock set up with the glasspack the best though.

Last edited:
Hey, that's not nice. :laugh:

BTW Harry, on the way out to SZ the sound got louder. FINALLY! I like it more than I had but it's still a bit stealthy (quiet), sound wise, at times. I still liked my stock set up with the glasspack the best though.

With time it will get louder...don't forget the fibers do start to wear out..(like the glasspack) more then others.

Magnaflow makes really good packing fibers for noise reduction....but they say it only last about 4-5 years with daily driving.

Long peroids of highway driving will continuously keep the pressure on the fibers. Heat, makes the fibers stick to one another... which results in them being pushed out of the way of the exhaust flow. Resulting in them packing closer to the walls. This keeps the fibers from doing their job....reducing sound.
Once everything cools down though the fibers resettle and it goes back to normal.:crazy:

The fibers do eventually wear out...and when that day does...i bet you will be really happy. :)

I miss the luca name though :laugh:....but your italian? I never knew that.:crazy:

I agree with you Harry.
The Magnaflow exhaust has been on for about 4 yrs now and I hope to one day finally like it. :help: I still don't even though it has gotten a bit louder.
I should have left well enough alone, I liked what I had and should never have changed the exhaust.

LUCA is back. :) And yep, I am Italian... Sicilian really. ;)

Back