• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Steering Rack Brands + Sources

SVT_CT

CEG'er
I need a steering rack. With quick research I have found the following:

Rockauto (cheapest source I saw for the A-1 Cardone)
A-1 Cardone #22244
$163 + $100 core

Tousley Ford
OEM
$214 + $21 core

Is the A-1 Cardone part #22244 considered a quality rack? If not, are there any other recommended brands and/or sources for quality steering racks? (I know Tousley is trustworthy). I dont mind paying extra for a good rack, especially given the PITA installation.

Suggestions?

I've had mixed luck with aftermarket racks. Some are fine, while others have had problems with seal leakage, binding while turning, bad inner tie rod ends, and unbalanced spool valves that cause the car to pull. While chances are you'll be fine with the Cardone rack-- given the fact that you have to drop the subframe to install it, I'd go with OEM just to be safe. It's not a job I'd want to do twice.

Why are you replacing it anyway? Rack end seal leak?

Just replaced my wife's 99 Taurus Steering rack. I had it replaced 18 months ago from a shop that only warrantied it for 12 months. It started leaking from the drivers side seal about a month ago. I just bough an A1 Cardone rack from Advance Auto (like the fact it has a limited lifetime warranty with some labor reimbursement, after the nightmare with the 12 month warrantied one). After an alignment, the car feels as tight as new. I just picked the car up from the shop (different guy) about three hours ago and can't be happier (knock on wood). The thing turns on a dime now. Kinda feels like the 'tour.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Why are you replacing it anyway? Rack end seal leak?

The car has been clunking when steering at low speeds (not a CV joint click) and there is some leakage from the rack. Also, I had someone more knowledgeable look at it.

I'd only go OEM. Our racks are great quality as is. Too much work to not go OEM. I have 157k on my original rack still.

Back