• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheels "Jumping"

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
Car is a 98 SVT, HMS trans with a Torsen, poly-filled r/r's, newish axles/bearings/hubs on both sides...

Something we noticed when we were checking the wheels for clearance... When I let the clutch out, the front wheels "jump" a few degrees before they start rolling. It's almost like the wheels have to be pushed to a point before they'll turn smoothly. Both sides do it, but it's more prevalant on the driver's side. Should I be looking at the motor mounts?

Sigh... that's the one part of he front suspension that I haven't replaced yet. So, that's probably it. I'll check those out and report back.

I recall, I think it was Elkys car, before he replaced the control arms where you could see the wheel moving back and forth while taking off from a stop. which might be like this jumping you are discribing.

now you don't feel any kickback through the steering wheel do you? if you do that is a sign a a diff problem and you would need to stop driving the car asap.

No, none - that's why I had no idea it was going on until we were staring at the wheels while the car rolled back and forth.

now you don't feel any kickback through the steering wheel do you? if you do that is a sign a a diff problem and you would need to stop driving the car asap.

Can you explain this to me. Why does a bad diff cause kickback through the steering wheel?

steering wheel is connected to the hubs, hubs are connected to the axels, axels are connected to the diff.

World keeps on spinning.

steering wheel is connected to the hubs, hubs are connected to the axels, axels are connected to the diff.

World keeps on spinning.

Thank you sir, makes perfect sense now. For some reason my brain wasn't connecting the dots!

not sure if im jacking this or not but recently I have noticed on my car that when I'm releasing the clutch it kinda feels the same way but only in first gear. Like the clutch pedal shakes alittle then the car moves. But only in first gear. I just replaced my engine if that helps.

Can you explain this to me. Why does a bad diff cause kickback through the steering wheel?

not entirely sure because alot of other issues could possible be felt in the steering wheel I suppose. but the bottom line is when the spider gears on the diff are chewed up they do not mesh properly and can bind up and then pop free. I heard this once and it was one of the most discusting sounds I have heard from a car.

so its more related to when you are turning if you feel the kickback through the wheel.

as brian said...my wheels would 'shake' or 'jump' a little as i was letting the clutch out. replaced the lowers and it stopped.

Well, that sucks. Could always be worse, though.

IIRC, it's easier just to buy the whole LCA with bushings already in it, right? Would Mr. Jenkins be my best bet?

that is the only way you can buy the controls arms, complete with bushings and ball joints.

personally I would go oem but others have used the dorman arms with good sucess.

Back