• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Autometer gauge wiring help

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
I'm installing a Water temp and Oil pressure Autometer Phantom series gauges... I suck at electrical stuff so bear with me.

A couple questions:

1. I want the bulbs to light up in the gauges when i turn on my headlights, which wires do i splice into at the switch?

2. For power which wire do i tap into at the ignition switch to give the gauges power?

3. The oil pressure sender... Where is the ideal place to put it? Head? Block? Pics please.

1. get a test light and splice into what ever wire shows 12+ volts only when the headlights are on.

2. yellow to turn the guages on in the acc posistion and green as I recall for when in the run position only.

3. block is best behind the a/c compressor. head will work as change in oil pressure is pretty importand, not just the value. however there are values that it should be when tapped at the block.

1. get a test light and splice into what ever wire shows 12+ volts only when the headlights are on.

2. yellow to turn the guages on in the acc posistion and green as I recall for when in the run position only.

3. block is best behind the a/c compressor. head will work as change in oil pressure is pretty importand, not just the value. however there are values that it should be when tapped at the block.

1. Ok, with that, Will it only get power with the low beams on? Say my high beams or foglight mod is on..

2. Yellow it is. Awesome.

3. Where do YOU normally tap it?

I set mine to be on with Parking lights (which are on at any time the switch is moved), so same story, test what wires get power at various stages of the headlight switch.

I tap behind the AC compressor on the block. If its an electrical gauge you will need to put together some brass fittings in a 90* fashion to move the sender out from behind the compressor. Not enough room behind the compressor for the sending unit.

1. Ok, with that, Will it only get power with the low beams on? Say my high beams or foglight mod is on..

2. Yellow it is. Awesome.

3. Where do YOU normally tap it?

I set mine to be on with Parking lights (which are on at any time the switch is moved), so same story, test what wires get power at various stages of the headlight switch.

I tap behind the AC compressor on the block. If its an electrical gauge you will need to put together some brass fittings in a 90* fashion to move the sender out from behind the compressor. Not enough room behind the compressor for the sending unit.
Ok cool, you wouldnt happen to know the color wires would you? :)

yes it is electrical but, no AC compressor installed so that's all cake. but looking at the block.. is there already a allen head plug someplace there? or am i blind?

i tapped the dimmer wire for the lights. so when the parking lights are on the guage lights are on and they can dim with the dash lights.

i have had the electric sender at the head before but that was because it was easy to install there. right now one is on the remote oil filter which is just as good as tapping the block.

Thanks for the idea Brapple, I tapped the dimmer, for reference tap the black and white/red wires to hook it up to the dimmer. Turned out great.

I got the majority of it done, all left is to hook up the oil pressure sender. I still don't know where i want to put it.. No ones has a picture of their electric sender on the block or heads?

This is really quite a job for these gauges, I'm surprised so many people have these things. Maybe it just because i suck with electrical stuff. :crazy:

hnnnnnnng... I don't wanna buy hose!!!! And i might add a compressor down the road when i decide Michigan does need A/C So I'm thinking the head now.

hnnnnnnng... I don't wanna buy hose!!!! And i might add a compressor down the road when i decide Michigan does need A/C So I'm thinking the head now.
im uploading the pictures now, ill edit this post with the pics as soon they are done.

here you go. you have to twist the PCV line up enough to clear the sending unit, depending on the size of your sending unit, which is best done with the intake manifold off so you can get to the hose between the heads.
101_0695.jpg

101_0696.jpg

Thanks striker. One other question, how are you guys mounting the apiller? Are you keeping the stock a piller piece and screwing into it?!

Back