• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Air Conditioning Re-Charge

Since two years ago, I have had to recharge once a year. I think I have a pinhole leak somewhere or the rubber gaskets are worn out.

I use the Interdynamics charging kits from Autozone or Advance Auto. $39. Two cans, pressure gauge and UV flashlight to locate leaks (if any).

Same here on a '95 Mystique. For me, one large can of recharge mix from Autozone does it a year in May, so far. I put a leak sealer mix in one year and it didn't do anything, I've got the feeling it is not the type of leak that can be fixed with a sealer in a can. Must be a small leak, though.

Mike

just used the exact same kit on my wifes cougar today cause the air was just not cool like it used to be anymore and now the car is blowing snowballs! Idk how long it will last and will vary im sure on if you have a leak or where etc.... but i can vouch for it working on this car so take it for what its worth. I know I dont have the cash to take one to an a/c shop and 40 bucks I can afford.

Using the kit with only low side gauge is really hit or miss since the low side will read pretty close to correct on a good system while high side ranges from say 100 to close to 300 pounds. If you are good at recognizing when to stop, all the better. The only way to make sure you are as full as need to be without overcharging is to use high side pressure which you don't get with kits. Without it, you can get system cold fairly easy but you have no idea how long it will stay that way. Going to full high side pressure guarantees maximum time before you have to recharge again.

and chances are if you have to recharge the system then there is a leak. get it fixed or its just going to get worse and worse. not if the system is way down or has been openned up you have to bring it to a vacuum before filling the system. air will hinder the performance of the a/c system.

Back