• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

twin turbo

Maybe not the same platform, but those turbo's are tucked up against that engine fairly tightly... I'm pretty sure someone could make them fit in a Contour. It doesn't appear to be sticking out further then the AC compressor.

The point was never "is it physically possible" for twin turbos on a contour. The issue was always, that it would take a tremendous amount of time, effort and money, for zero net benefit compared to a properly sized single turbo setup such as is available commercially already from NPG. Several folks have started down the road to do it, just so they could be different (which is honestly the only good reason I could come up with for bothering with it) but each one of them has eventually given up because it just isn't worth it.

The Mazda6 posted, it appears to be a bit easier to put together, but even if it isn't, all it means is someone spent the time money and effort to get there. (and with a way too small intercooler to boot). Great for them, but in this case, it won't perform any better than a properly done single.

frontturbooverview.jpg

Nice exhaust leak! Jeebus!!!

That intercooler looks like it belongs on a turbo busa or something, NOT a 3L V6.

The point was never "is it physically possible" for twin turbos on a contour. The issue was always, that it would take a tremendous amount of time, effort and money, for zero net benefit compared to a properly sized single turbo setup such as is available commercially already from NPG. Several folks have started down the road to do it, just so they could be different (which is honestly the only good reason I could come up with for bothering with it) but each one of them has eventually given up because it just isn't worth it.

The Mazda6 posted, it appears to be a bit easier to put together, but even if it isn't, all it means is someone spent the time money and effort to get there. (and with a way too small intercooler to boot). Great for them, but in this case, it won't perform any better than a properly done single.

Rara I agree with you, but the point I'm making is it is not a 'FAIL' situation. It can indeed work if someone wants to put the time and effort into it and they would be capable of yielding the same results as a single setup. Notice my post a few up...

Now that said I'm not entirely sure it would really be worth it other then bragging rights and the ability to put a Twin Turbo badge on the back of your Contour :crazy:

In the end I don't think we should be saying to every person that comes on here talking about twin turbo's that you shouldn't do it. I think we should be saying it's possible, but you can make just as much power with a single turbo so in the end it's not worth the time. Done.

This is how you do it...

Bugatti Veyron w16 engine

Engine_051214_ssh.jpg
bugatti-veyron-w16-engine-776255-full.jpg

Comes complete with some chick to work on it for you too while you stand back and giggle with excitement :laugh:...

vaeyron-review-fanny-building-engine.jpg

There would be merits to a twin-turbo setup, as thats why Noble chose the Duratec V6 engine for their cars and then slapped on twin turbos.

Ok, admittedly they don't have the packaging constraints as in the contour, but there must be a reason why they went twin turbo route over single turbo. Better power delivery? Who knows :cool:

There would be merits to a twin-turbo setup, as thats why Noble chose the Duratec V6 engine for their cars and then slapped on twin turbos.

Ok, admittedly they don't have the packaging constraints as in the contour, but there must be a reason why they went twin turbo route over single turbo. Better power delivery? Who knows :cool:

because the Noble can actually put the power to the ground. we are very very limited with our FWD setup

well thanks a bunch for the response on this, im more then likely never going to turbo the tour i just wanted the info. i got some things i gotta fix on the engine before i even consider trying to do anything to it :(

Why stop there... we should put on six freakin turbos. One for each flipp'n cylinder. That'll leave a mess in your pants hahaha.

Back