• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Windshield Wipers not Working

coatsy

CEG'er
So this morning I am heading to work this morning and my wipers won't work, I can hear a noise as though they want to work, but they don't move. Actually after turning them on and off a few times the noise was REALLY loud almost like a banging noise under the hood. Then just a light noise and whats sounded like clicking under my dash?

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance, Merry Xmas to all.

Yup.. easy!

open the hood and remove the screws (under the caps) along the two-piece black cowl. You can follow the directions for the "cabin air filter" removal to get these off.

then simply verify (visually) what is physically happening in there!
'

Thanks Ray, I took it all apart and found that the linkage bar was laying on the bottom of the firewall unattached on on the drivers side bar, I set it back in tested the wipers and they worked, When I put it all back together and knocked the wiper back on the spindal it must have came loose again as I have the same problem. What do you recommend I use to keep the arm in place, there is no clamp etc that holds it there.

..., When I put it all back together and knocked the wiper back on the spindal it must have came loose again as I have the same problem. What do you recommend I use to keep the arm in place, there is no clamp etc that holds it there.
Post a picture and I'm sure more CEGers will be able to give suggestions.

Something is worn or bent. It shouldn't come off. Is there a retaining clip that is missing?

Run it for a while with the cowl covers off and see what happens. That might give you a clue about how to fix it.

Got it fixed guys thanks alot for the responses. Seems that it is suppose to clip into the other arm, but mine seemed to have loosened off. I put some duct tape around the head and then slipped it back into the arm slot, works perfect..

Love that duct tape.

It’s a one time deal, once it comes off it’s worn out and needs to be replaced. Some have used wire to hold it on until the new assembly arrives. I used a nylon washer held in place with epoxy to keep it together. It’s about 100 bucks from your friendly ford dealer. I ordered mine from Bill Jenkins, you can’t buy the arm or bushing, it only comes as the whole assembly.

jeff

Back