• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Replacing Syncros

Blackcoog

Hard-core CEG'er
Anyone ever replaced syncros in the MTX75? I have a Contour SVT that I'm working on and it has the 2nd and 3rd gear grinds. I picked up a transmission from a Cougar member here in MN. I cracked it open to inspect it and the diff was bad so I swapped in an extra one I had. The syncros looked ok but I'm no expert. I installed it and the car still grinds in 2nd and 3rd!!? WTF! Is that a case of bad luck or can there be another cause for your transmission to grind in 2nd and 3rd? Cable issues would show in every gear and you'd think it wouldn't go into gear at all if the adjustment was way off.

Do I need a press or any special tools to replace syncros? Should I tear it down and bring the transmission to a shop with the parts or will I get raped? I think I'll get raped so I'd rather do it myself and buy or rent the tools needed to do it.

Anyone ever replaced syncros in the MTX75? I have a Contour SVT that I'm working on and it has the 2nd and 3rd gear grinds. I picked up a transmission from a Cougar member here in MN. I cracked it open to inspect it and the diff was bad so I swapped in an extra one I had. The syncros looked ok but I'm no expert. I installed it and the car still grinds in 2nd and 3rd!!? WTF! Is that a case of bad luck or can there be another cause for your transmission to grind in 2nd and 3rd? Cable issues would show in every gear and you'd think it wouldn't go into gear at all if the adjustment was way off.

Do I need a press or any special tools to replace syncros? Should I tear it down and bring the transmission to a shop with the parts or will I get raped? I think I'll get raped so I'd rather do it myself and buy or rent the tools needed to do it.

Take it to a shop - you need to press everything off, replace the parts and press everything back on while maintaining the proper tolerances. IIRC the trans shop near me installed a torsen, bearings and a 3rd gear syrnchro for ~$250.

Take it to a shop - you need to press everything off, replace the parts and press everything back on while maintaining the proper tolerances. IIRC the trans shop near me installed a torsen, bearings and a 3rd gear syrnchro for ~$250.

The thing that sucks is you can get a used transmission for cheaper than bying parts and paying a transmission shop to swap them in. The only problem with a used one is you gamble on weather or not it's good or bad if you don't know how to inspect syncros for damage. I need to figure out how to tell if the syncros are bad. A post in the transmission thread a while back said to force the blocker ring toward the syncro and if there is a gap between the gear and syncro the syncro is good. If there is no gap then the syncro is worn. I thought the transmission that went in had gaps so I thought it was fine but obviously they weren't. I wonder if a shop would inspect the syncros for me for cheap? Then I could return the transmission right away if it's bad.

The place near my house has a "Tested" transmission for $399. I doubt it's been tested though unless the junker still drove when it came in.

Thanks,
Chris

i have the same problem in my svt(when purchased) i noticed right away that it had a 2nd gear grind...very little but still pisses me off. but like Blackcoog...i don't want to get raped. and i'm sure working on them is a PITA! i'm hoping i can find one at a JY soon.

I called the junk yard and they said the transmission was tested in the car and then pulled out and checked. I think they are full of BS so I'll probably still crack it open and have a shop look at it before I burn another 6 hours on a transmission swap.

Chris

well i live in PA..i have access to 3 U-PULL-IT yards. i know one of these times i go in there i'll find one...i have no knowledge on transmissions either but like i said, before my trans takes a dump...i need to get this fixed. i'm going to start with just trying to find a used one, and not drive my car. i feel bad for ya man...all that time. i bet its frustrating! good luck and let us know what you come up with. i'm gonna need a ton of help with mine also. i have a ford cd, so hopefully that helps me out a bit too.

Joe

I rebuilt mine for about $200.

It also helps my Dad has access to a press and pulled/re installed everything.

I am starting to get a 4th gear issue (6700, quick shift, it likes to spit it out).

Edit: 200 was all new shift forks and syncros.

synchros are easy. take the whole shaft that they sit on out and have them pressed off. they only go one way and they are good or bad. if the teeth are worn or anything at all then they are gone. either they are good or bad, and thats it. of course this advice is given after 9 beers. LOL

As I mentioned in the trans section post the car is up and running now with the junk yard tranny. Works great! I also got my money back from the NECO guy on the faulty trans which is pretty sweet.

I would have went nuts if I had to pull the trans out of that car a 3rd time. At least I was able to get some practice in for my Cougar and Contour which both need the trans pulled. I need to pull that spec clutch out of the Cougar to either strengthen it up or sell it and go with a clutchnet clutch so I don't have to worry about it failing. My contour has a rare 2nd gear grind I need to take care of eventually.

Glad you got that worked out on the cheap.

I need to pull that spec clutch out of the Cougar to either strengthen it up or sell it and go with a clutchnet clutch so I don't have to worry about it failing.
I plan on doing the same for my Contour, but will probably wait until I have my own garage to work on it in over the winter :cool:

I'm not really worried about mine falling apart, I just don't like it :laugh:

As I mentioned in the trans section post the car is up and running now with the junk yard tranny. Works great! I also got my money back from the NECO guy on the faulty trans which is pretty sweet.

I would have went nuts if I had to pull the trans out of that car a 3rd time. At least I was able to get some practice in for my Cougar and Contour which both need the trans pulled. I need to pull that spec clutch out of the Cougar to either strengthen it up or sell it and go with a clutchnet clutch so I don't have to worry about it failing. My contour has a rare 2nd gear grind I need to take care of eventually.

chris, when i finally come see the cougar again, i'll let you take a spin in my car, so you can feel the clutchnet disc.

i think i was "one" of the first, if not the first, to go with a heavy duty clutchnet disc (though tony was the one that talked me into clutchnet in the first place) and i get PM's constantly with people asking about it. it chatters like a mofo, but so does the spec. other than that, its way better. same material, but it engages a little smoother. also, its built like a tank, especially compared to the spec!

Back