• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

why are people so jealous of our SVT's?!!

Many states are changing their policies to where you pay taxes on the actual value of the car and not what you claim you paid for it. Texas just made this change some time ago. Used to be I could go in and say I only paid $100 for a vehicle and that's what I paid taxes on. Those days are long gone. When I bought my Tour almost 2 years ago, I think my taxes were around $350.

Yes, when I registered my second SVT last year, I had a bill of sale showing $1000 (which wasn't even close to true), but they based my taxes on a Contour's FMV, which luckily rolled all Contours into one category, so it was only $2600.

come to think of it, my bill of sale was typed up with only my signature. if only they still went off the actual sale i could have put whatever.. but yeah the FMV for the car was about 4k ish which is close enough to what i payed 3.5k

The only stranger to ever compliment my SVT was an older guy driving a Festiva, in the local grocery parking lot. It was great to see someone who recognized the thing. Around here it's a rare occurrence at best.

I once had an NSX driver tell me "Contour SVT, nice car" at a stop light. It still makes me feel speshul.

My brand new $9k OTD '99 Daewoo Lanos econo box looked more like a BMW than a CSVT (well front end did a little). Car long gone, pic below of same model.

used-1999-daewoo-lanos-se-3819-347304-1-640.jpg

how the hell does this even remotely look like a BMW?

I remember a few months back a gurl entered my CSVT and asked what model Bimmer it was, it was real funny, cuz i told her it wasnt a Bimmer, only one of its competitors back in the day, and i also told her it was a 98 not an 04...then she said that if she only looked into it more she would have got someting like this instead of waste her paychex each month paying for a 04 2.5 Altima..haha she cool tho:laugh:

Around here, large trucks and American made muscle rules. My little tour gets no respect and I am usually having to dodge all the rednecks thinking their truck can drive over my car. I got one compliment once and that was from a guy at a car wash driving a Honda Civic with a big azz fart pipe. :blackeye:

I miss my Mustang. :cry:

Hahaha...this is pretty inclusive for the entire state of Texas, I fear.

Definitely struck a cord with me on this one, since I have move down here.

Hahaha...this is pretty inclusive for the entire state of Texas, I fear.

Definitely struck a cord with me on this one, since I have move down here.

What are you trying to say? Just because our fleet contains an SUV, Corvette, Cobra, G8 GT, and some SVT Contours, doesn't mean that we only like trucks and muscle cars.... :cool:

Kinda seems that way though, doesn't it?

Last edited:
I'm only 19 and I believe there is 2 svt's in town here ones heavily modded and one that's clean and stock they are rare no doubt about it when I see either one usually nod or wave like I do to most contour/mystique drivers or thumbs up, One svt owner actually liked my mystique zetec and said it was pretty clean for a winter driven car and liked the stock rims. I think the forum is directed in both directions the older generation and younger generation. I see my car as a economy car not a race car or something special svt or not it's still a contour/mystique the looks the svt gets is usually from people unfamiliar with the car. We all have the common interest in the same car so we shouldn't argue despite of what people say yes a svt is a beautiful car but no it's not something you get jealous over just curious thats my opinion.

The e36 is it's own car side skirts abit my friends 3 series has the m3 package it looks pretty nice and a svt and a 3 series looking alike I'd say totally different cars the only thing the cars have remotely in common is power really.

picture110.jpg

bmw3.jpg

picture112.jpg

picture113-1.jpg

I've yet to have anyone stare at my SVT as far as I can tell in the 2 years I have owned it. Even my SE with the 19" wheels, SVT bodykit, Mirko, etc still didnt get much looks.

I've yet to have anyone stare at my SVT as far as I can tell in the 2 years I have owned it. Even my SE with the 19" wheels, SVT bodykit, Mirko, etc still didnt get much looks.
I got lots of looks in my turbo Zetec, but i think that was mostly due to the FMIC and the HKS SSQV :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Should have had blue wheels. Those got people's attention. Whether it was good or bad, I don't know. :shrug:

Back