• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch problems?

Farmer Stan

New CEG'er
Hi there -- new to the contour (99 SVT) and new to driving stick. Could use some explanation for these symptoms... are they normal or problematic.... I am wondering if they are related and due to a clutch problem or something else:

- occasionally when doing some quick reverse-first-reverse shifting (like parallel parking), the shifter will lock up and I can't get it to go into the gear. Revving the engine tends to solve the problem.
- When stepping on the gas in a high-ish gear with rpms low (like heading up a steep hill in third, rpms about 2000) I hear what sounds like some chatter/rattle in the engine. Seems to disappear when the revs get higher.
- Tonight I noticed that revving the engine pretty high while at a stop light with the clutch on the floor, the car would start to want to lurch forward around about 4000 or so rpms.

Thanks

sounds like you might need to bleed your clutch. If you look at the top of the trans below your air intake assembly there is a small square piece of rubber with the clutch line leading from it, directly next to that clutch line is a bleeding valve, I believe its an 8mm socket, and have someone help you bleed it just like you would do a brake system.

Worst case scenario, your clutch's throw out bearing could be failing, but this doesn't sound like the case, as for your clutch chatter/rattling issue, its hard to pinpoint without hearing it, but I have a feeling I know what you are talking about... It sounds almost like a rushing of air? Or scraping noise? If thats the case then its totally normal.

i would not call a scrapping noise normal.

but as suggested start with bleeding the clutch. also check your shift cable ends to make sure the bushings are good.

and high gear, low rpm is rough on the car and will cause some noise as it strains to get up to speed.

- Tonight I noticed that revving the engine pretty high while at a stop light with the clutch on the floor, the car would start to want to lurch forward around about 4000 or so rpms.

Almost sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. That may also be why its locking up when you go from reverse to first and the reverse.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get the clutch bled -- as for the clutch not fully disengaging, could that be helped by bleeding as well?

Also, in general should I avoid driving in high gear, low RPMs, like going up a hill? I tend to assume it's better on gas mileage, but if it's too rough on the car I should obviously change my habits. Again, new to stick...

The car's really in very nice shape. No mods, not evidently driven hard, taken care of, though perhaps under-driven before I bought it last December. It's a pretty forest green with just 95k on it. I have been worried that the soft clatter I hear at low RPMs is the beginning of the SVT rod knock... but from what I gather reading forums rod knock is not exactly subtle. This clatter is very soft, you really have to listen for it.

Thanks again.

Almost sounds like your clutch isn't fully disengaging. That may also be why its locking up when you go from reverse to first and the reverse.

exactly. classic symptom of hydraulic issue - read: slave cylinder failing.

when you bleed the clutch check to see if there's bubbles in the fluid. shouldn't be. unfortunately i don't know if there's any way to verify it's really leaking since the slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing of the trans, but, if this happens again after you bleed it that's most likely what your problem is.

of course it's also entirely possible that the brake fluid has never een flushed in the car either and you've just got old stale fluid and possibly some moisture in there.

bleed th eclutch and post back.

Back