• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PATS computer question

svt4stv

Hard-core CEG'er
hey all, im posting this for my friend JohntheSHOguy who is working on a CEGer's car here at his home. its a 98 csvt. im actually typing while he dictates..

the battery was dead. we replaced the battery. the car ran for a couple blocks, then died. still would crank but would not start. back home, i tried to diagnose the problem. suddenly, car would no longer crank, and the fuel pump doesnt engage. the PATS light blinks rapidly when ignition is on. i tried to read the codes but the code reader indicates link error. i think its a problem with the PATs. this car has PATS in the computer, not the external module. my only other option is to try the spare key which the owner is sending to me. if this still doesnt solve problem, is there any way to determine if the computer is bad?

the rapid blinking light does indicate the PATs system was tripped. since you are also getting a OBD link error I would start by looking at wiring and fuses, etc since its a 98

Last edited:
Sounds like that battery terminals weren't tightened enough. Pats will do that if a term. is slightly loose.

the rapid blinking light doesn't indicate the PATs system was tripped.

Uh, yes it does. That's what it is for.

On a 98, a PATS event will also disable the starter.

However, a PCM-related fault may also exhibit as a PATS fault depending on the actual failure.

Get that battery properly charged and do verify the integrity of the power cables, especially the 4 red wires that feed from the battery's positive cable into the power distribution box.

Check the production date of the car. If before 3/98, it should have the external PATS module. As of 3/98, the PATS functionality was built into the PCM and the external module was deleted.

Back