• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine gets no air or gasps for it

gman34

New CEG'er
sorry i don't know how to explain it,
When i am at a complete stop, i press on the gas and the engine stalls and doesn't seem to get air for about a second and then it jumps,
however, sometimes it goes very very slowly,
i have a lean fuel code,

i though it was the MAF but i took it out and still had the issue, any suggestions?
maybe throttle control? Idle control?

any help would be appreciated!

have you tried filling the gas tank? With a lean code it sounds like you might have a fuel pressure issue. What specific CEL code did your car throw?

actually i deleted the code, ill wait for it to come back, yes i have filled the car and i also have changed the fuel filter lol.
i have changed all spark plugs and spark plug wires, air filter is new, all wiring is good and i am going to check for vacuum leaks tomorrow.

sounds like a fuel pump get a fuel pressure gauge and check your fuel pressure.... good news you can change the pump with out dropping the tank should cost around a 100 bucks drop in a Focus svt pump on the returnless fuel system or a performance mustang pump on the return style fuel system. good luck... but I'd bet that is what your problem is and why you are getting a lean code my 98 explorere did a similar thing and it was the fuel pump

Post engine (2L, 2.5L or 3L), tranny (Manual or Automatic) and what year.

sorry for not posting the basics,
i have a 1998 ford contour with a 2.0L 4cyl
Automatic,

now i have also figured out it only does it when its hot outside, so thats weird, maybe the oxygen sensor? it's definitely not the MAF and i have checked all fuses.
I am going to the junk yard this tuesday, and i just want to go ahead and buy a bunch of parts since the junk yard is far away, so i will go ahead and buy a fuel pressure and maybe replace the oxygen sensors.

the check engine hasn't come back yet and it has happened about 40 times today!

ok i have got a pending code:
p0171 system too lean (bank 2)

any ideas?

Sorry it was bank 1,

no i checked the ho2s service tips, and i was wondering, since it only does it when its hot outside, what could cause it?
I looked at the o2 sensor and it looks fine from the outside,
I might just get the fuel pump replaced but it's going to cost 200 bucks.

Back