• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Re98 Center consoles

Are you sure that's from a 1999-2000 Cougar? I had a 2000 Cougar MTX and it had a single flip-out cup holder. It's possible that the ATX models had a console like that... or it's from a 2001 or 1999.

I came across this pre-98 console in a scrap Do-it-Yourself scrap yard in my area. It was a lucky find, with a matching leather armrest, MTX shift boot, and the "Full width" ashtray cover that was apparently only on the very early ones. It also (as they all do I think) has a little flip out ashtray on the back for the rear seat. I found a set of working cup sholders in another car, but they would not fit in my car becasue of some steel box bolted to the floor...it didn't allow the insert to go down all the way.

The plastic storage sleeve on the pre-98 consoles pops out to reveal a radio-size hole, so I did a little switcheroo, and took advantge of the "new" old radio slot for a Oil press, Vacuum and Volts gauge location.

I also did without some of the "necessary" hardware from the doner car, having just taken the console and its components. The factory cup holder insert that sits forward of the shifter on the Post-98 cars is still there, the front "flaps" on the console just overlay it, and I just used it as a structure to screw the new console to. I had to cut out the center portion of it to get the radio to slid all the way in though.
Again, I did without the radio/HVAC surround from the doner 1995 car. I trimmed plastic underneath the stock panel so that the console had enough clearance under the dash.
Dispite taking a little less tidy aproach, it all looks seamless and everything lines up and fits correctly. It just took some trial and error to get it in right.

ContourInt0151.jpg

Is it me or that dash color is lighter than the stock one ? Maybe just the lightning :)

Pre-98 console... :drool:

I miss my Mystique for that. Damn, why didn't they made the 95 Mystique Dash for Contour too... would be so much easier to put a double DIN setup!

what do you guys use to re-attach the e-brake boot to the console?

Mine came w/ the boot detached (broke off from the plastic welds).

Any tricks to put it back on?

Is it just me or what? I can't get this pre-98 console to fit for $h*t. Driver side is half decent at best but the passenger is terrible. Look at the huge gap between the console and the dash. I already moved up the console as much as I could and still be able to get a screw it at the bottom and it is to the point where there is a small gap at the carpet and there still is a huge gap by the dash. Also the HVAC bezel sticks out at the bottom b/c there doesn't seem to be a spot where it clips in. Also the tiny trim piece that snaps in above the DIN on the console doesn't do anything but fill a gap. I thought it would hold the HVAC tight against the dash but it doesn't do anything. Am I doing something wrong here?

Is it just me or what? I can't get this pre-98 console to fit for $h*t. Driver side is half decent at best but the passenger is terrible. Look at the huge gap between the console and the dash. I already moved up the console as much as I could and still be able to get a screw it at the bottom and it is to the point where there is a small gap at the carpet and there still is a huge gap by the dash. Also the HVAC bezel sticks out at the bottom b/c there doesn't seem to be a spot where it clips in. Also the tiny trim piece that snaps in above the DIN on the console doesn't do anything but fill a gap. I thought it would hold the HVAC tight against the dash but it doesn't do anything. Am I doing something wrong here?

got pictures? mine when in easily and lined right up just like pictured above ...

got pictures? mine when in easily and lined right up just like pictured above ...

Sorry here is a pic

IMG_1240.jpg

yeah something isn't right there ... are you using the pre98 hvac bzel and radio tray? also you don't want to use the port 98 mounting point that it looks like you have used ... it looks like it has pulled the console down. if you are using the pre98 radio tray there are pins that the center console fits into and it makes it all line up ...

I have circled all the clip location on the pre98 hvac bezel, looks like you don't have them on the bottom or they are not clipped in, irrc they clip into the radio tray ...

DSC03425.JPG

Last edited:
Something definately doesn't look right . Sure it's the right panel ?

OK - I went down to MY car & looked . You're missing the under-dash "tray" , that the pre-98's have under the radio . It fills in that gap & helps to hold the console in place too . Go to the 'yard & pick one up & you'll be golden :cool: .

Last edited:
I bought this all from Harry and it came w/ the HVAC which I'm assuming is a Pre-98 HVAC. What post 98 mounting point that I used are you referring to? If you see the screw down by the carpet you can see the metal piece behind/below it b/c I pulled the console up as much as I could to try to close the gap but in doing this you can now see the metal bracket on the floor. It looks like the console is too short on the top (by the HVAC) and at the bottom (by the carpet). It just fits like crap at this point. If you have some good install pics and which mounting points I'm supposed to use that may help.

What do the bottom clips on the HVAC snap into? I dint think my HVAC bezel had those clips on the bottom (I will have to double check) b/c if I push it into the dash it doesn't snap in at the bottom and it just hangs out as you can see from the pic.

Also does your little trim piece between the console and HVAC snap in tightly and do anything? Mine just seems to go in sloppy and just take up space. It does not stick very snug at all.

yeah something isn't right there ... are you using the pre98 hvac bzel and radio tray? also you don't want to use the port 98 mounting point that it looks like you have used ... it looks like it has pulled the console down. if you are using the pre98 radio tray there are pins that the center console fits into and it makes it all line up ...

I have circled all the clip location on the pre98 hvac bezel, looks like you don't have them on the bottom or they are not clipped in, irrc they clip into the radio tray ...

DSC03425.JPG

like I said before you are using the post 98 console attachment point and you don't need to .... you are missing the tray the bolts in under the radio ... if you compair the two peices the post 98 hvac bezel wraps under the radio and the pre98 one does not .... also the is a small filler peice that fits between the hvac bezel and the center concole so it doesn't reach all the way up ...

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=2618&postcount=3

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=73132&postcount=5

DSC00852.JPG

DSC01116.JPG

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=65281&postcount=1

There is a tray-looking piece that screws up under the dash , directly below the radio . If you compare the post-98 HVAC and the pre-98 HVAC , the "tray" pretty much takes the place of the "missing" plastic flap the closes in the bottom of the dash (so your drinks don't splash up under the dash when sitting in your post-98 cupholders) . This tray has the clips/attatching points to hold the HVAC panel/finisher strip and the console tightly . You need this tray .
As for the clips at the bottom , you can always unfold the carpet around the clips and cover them up . You won't even know they're there .

like I said before you are using the post 98 console attachment point and you don't need to .... you are missing the tray the bolts in under the radio ... if you compair the two peices the post 98 hvac bezel wraps under the radio and the pre98 one does not .... also the is a small filler peice that fits between the hvac bezel and the center concole so it doesn't reach all the way up ...

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=2618&postcount=3

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=73132&postcount=5

The filler piece (the thin long piece) is actually there but since there is a big gap it kind of just falls into the hole and does not really clip in. It just sits there loose.

There is a tray-looking piece that screws up under the dash , directly below the radio . If you compare the post-98 HVAC and the pre-98 HVAC , the "tray" pretty much takes the place of the "missing" plastic flap the closes in the bottom of the dash (so your drinks don't splash up under the dash when sitting in your post-98 cupholders) . This tray has the clips/attatching points to hold the HVAC panel/finisher strip and the console tightly . You need this tray .
As for the clips at the bottom , you can always unfold the carpet around the clips and cover them up . You won't even know they're there .

Ok looks like Harrry didn't send the tray. I'm going to have to see if he has it or something. Thanks for your help with this. Hopefully once I get the tray this will solve my issues. If not I'm sure I will be digging up this thread again lol

I was thinking.....can't you just re-use the post-98 HVAC piece that has the built it tray? I'd have to take another look at the dimensions and see if its doable.

teamSVTour, I'm heading to the junkyard in about 30 mins. If you see this post, let me know if you need that piece. I will look out for Pre-98 Tours.

Back