• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CF interior

Y2KSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I thought I'd share this over here since I know there are a few people who'd like to have some carbon fiber interior parts. Here's a solution for people that want a little bit of a project. I found this over on the Mazda6 forum 6crew.com. They found it from a BMW site. Check out page 11 for some installed pics on a Mazda6 that a guy did himself. It's real CF that you apply to your own interior pieces, trim the excess, and tuck in the edges. Looks pretty straight forward.

http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7740

Mark

Does it say how-to apply it? Is it a stick on/heat applied/layed or...? Looks really nice

Does it say how-to apply it? Is it a stick on/heat applied/layed or...? Looks really nice
Right from their site...

"Useful for all applications, best used if applied with 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive. You will want to wrap everything in sight! "

I wasn't sure about that either until the guy putting it in his Mazda said he had to wait for it to dry. Since this is just the CF material and no gel coat, I assumed he was using some sort of spray adhesive. Sure enough, I could see part of the spray can next to the piece he was wrapping. 3M makes good stuff, so I doubt it'll budge.

Mark

im thinking i might try something like this

Ryanskevlar049.jpg

because the hood is all CF, the dash is wrapped...fake/barf.

I don't even really care about that to be honest. Most people getting CF stuff is going for a look, not necessarily caring about weight savings. This stuff does pull off the look really well. I just think "the look" is kinda played out.

you could clearcoat it & build up the layers & then give it a good sand & polish. You'd have to use a high build clear & give it sufficient time to dry between each 3rd-4th coat to prevent checking.

This is what we call carbon fobre.

Its not doing anything but aesthetics, in fact the part you're wrapping is now technically heavier than it was before! I can see if you need to add some rigidity to the part (which would involve resin) but not really needed on most interior parts now is it?

This is what we call carbon fobre.

Its not doing anything but aesthetics, in fact the part you're wrapping is now technically heavier than it was before! I can see if you need to add some rigidity to the part (which would involve resin) but not really needed on most interior parts now is it?

captain obvious to the rescue :laugh:

that stuff look just like what i covered my old fiberglass sub box with in my silver svt. I got that stuff CHEAP too.

Back