• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sunroof issue

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
Hey guys, I picked up a 98 CSVT a few months ago but noticed a few small problems now that the warmer weather is around. One being the sunroof. It opens fine but doesn't stop when it reaches the closed position.

Let's say I had the sunroof opened in the position where the back portion of the glass is up about 2 inches. If I hold the button to close the roof, it will go down, and then continue to open fully. The 96 would auto stop when it reached the closed position and I would have to release the button, and then press it again to have it open fully. So for some reason it doesn't auto stop. I hope that made sense. I tried to describe it best I could :shrug::rolleyes:.

is the gear stripped? usually they'll get soft in wamer weather.

It opens and closes perfectly. Just that I have to let go of the button at the right time to close it. I thought that this may have been a more common problem :shrug:.

It opens and closes perfectly. Just that I have to let go of the button at the right time to close it. I thought that this may have been a more common problem :shrug:.

I think the clocking is slightly off, it may have skipped a few gears before you bought it. I had a similar issue with mine. I pulled the motor off and re-clock the sunroof and motor.

I think the clocking is slightly off, it may have skipped a few gears before you bought it. I had a similar issue with mine. I pulled the motor off and re-clock the sunroof and motor.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this issue. Is there a tutorial on how to re-clock? I've never done such a thing before.

basically i got my sunroof glass completely shut flush with the roof. then take the motor off of the gear drive. hold the button down like you would to open it all the way once it is off the gear. this way the motor spins but the wondow doesnt move. then run it all the way back closed until the switch kicks off. put the sunroof motor back up in the cover all buttoned up and then when you open and close it, it should close flush.

basically i got my sunroof glass completely shut flush with the roof. then take the motor off of the gear drive. hold the button down like you would to open it all the way once it is off the gear. this way the motor spins but the wondow doesnt move. then run it all the way back closed until the switch kicks off. put the sunroof motor back up in the cover all buttoned up and then when you open and close it, it should close flush.

thats exactly how I did mine, its pretty simple. and if the gear in your motor starts stripping later down the road get one from http://www.sunroofgears.com. they are 55 bucks. I need one myself.

Good info on setting the clocking but that is not OP's problem. Read again. If clocking was wrong his sunroof wouldn't open completely when closing from a vent open position. It would stop before completely opened.
Sounds instead like his motor has no clocking function whatsoever. Used motor assembly probably best solution.

Good info on setting the clocking but that is not OP's problem. Read again. If clocking was wrong his sunroof wouldn't open completely when closing from a vent open position. It would stop before completely opened.
Sounds instead like his motor has no clocking function whatsoever. Used motor assembly probably best solution.

Good point. Thanks :).

Do I need an entire motor assembly or is there a clocking chip or stock relay that I can pop in from a junk yard? I'll assume it's safe to use pre and post 98 power sunroof parts?

Good point. Thanks :).

Do I need an entire motor assembly or is there a clocking chip or stock relay that I can pop in from a junk yard? I'll assume it's safe to use pre and post 98 power sunroof parts?

Iwould just get the whole motor, I saw 2 under the classifieds section.

Back