• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shifter Too Small

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
I picked up a 98 CSVT a few months back from a kid a few towns over. However there are a few little things that are bothering me. Perhaps it's just me but I'll try to explain it.

Well for one, 2 owners ago that owner decided to cut the stock shifter to give it that "short throw" look. However it's just a stock shifter cut way too short :nonono:. I'm sure someone on the forum has done this and liked it, but I find it really hard to get into second gear. A problem I never had in the 99 or 96. I keep thinking I'm in gear and grind a few seconds while releasing clutch. It's rather annoying and happens 3 times a day at least.

It's kind of like how putting a pipe on the end of a wrench will create more power and make things easier. However cutting that wrench will make using it very difficult.

3n43m13oezzzzzzzzz92ecc.jpg

0610091148a.jpg

0610091148.jpg

0610091148b.jpg

For first, third, and fifth, it's not bad at all. Though reverse, second and sometimes fourth seem to require too much effort to get into gear.

I guess I have a few options. Either get used to putting a little more umpth while shifting into even number gears, find an uncut stock stick (does Ford sell these or is it in some kit), or look into the aftermarket world. Any suggestions?

I'm more of the casual driver than the hardcore racer. So I'm not sure how a short throw will feel. I mean I like to show off on rare occasions :rolleyes:, but I've never been to a track.

shift cables may need adjusting.

should easily be able to find a stock shifter in the classifieds. don't bother with Ford or getting a new one.

aftermarket is steeda or B&M, don't bother with the knock B&M knock offs.

should easily be able to find a stock shifter in the classifieds. don't bother with Ford or getting a new one.

aftermarket is steeda, CFM, or B&M, don't bother with the knock B&M knock offs.

fixed :D

the CFM and Steeda shifters are the only true short shifters (they actually lengthen the distance between the pivot ball and the cable mount) with the CFM having the shortest throw.

like BrApple said, you can find stock shifters in the classifieds from time to time (i have one im getting ready to post, if your interested PM me).

I picked up a 98 CSVT a few months back from a kid a few towns over. However there are a few little things that are bothering me. Perhaps it's just me but I'll try to explain it.

Well for one, 2 owners ago that owner decided to cut the stock shifter to give it that "short throw" look. However it's just a stock shifter cut way too short :nonono:. I'm sure someone on the forum has done this and liked it, but I find it really hard to get into second gear. A problem I never had in the 99 or 96. I keep thinking I'm in gear and grind a few seconds while releasing clutch. It's rather annoying and happens 3 times a day at least.

It's kind of like how putting a pipe on the end of a wrench will create more power and make things easier. However cutting that wrench will make using it very difficult.

3n43m13oezzzzzzzzz92ecc.jpg

0610091148a.jpg

0610091148.jpg

0610091148b.jpg

For first, third, and fifth, it's not bad at all. Though reverse, second and sometimes fourth seem to require too much effort to get into gear.

I guess I have a few options. Either get used to putting a little more umpth while shifting into even number gears, find an uncut stock stick (does Ford sell these or is it in some kit), or look into the aftermarket world. Any suggestions?

I'm more of the casual driver than the hardcore racer. So I'm not sure how a short throw will feel. I mean I like to show off on rare occasions :rolleyes:, but I've never been to a track.

that' sounds like your shift cable adjustment more than the cut down shifter. however i have a stock SVT shifter in good condition i can sell you as well.

oh and there is a trick to making a short throw shifter on the 98+ too. drill a hole and tap it higher on the arm that shifts front to back (the big one with the counterweight) and put the stud in the new hole. it will make the throw distance a little shorter, but dont go too far with it or you'll start shearing cables off.

that' sounds like your shift cable adjustment more than the cut down shifter.

Ironically you guys might be right. On my way to the post office today I noticed that the car's shifter had too much play. I believe the shift cable may not have been fastened securely and it came loose! As a result, the car is now stuck in gear. I was forced to coast into a restaurant's parking lot and walk home :nonono:.

I emailed the shop that replaced my trans (2 weeks ago) and was pretty :mad: at this point. At first, I thought he was trying to cover his butt and say that the damage was already there. Though after you guys mentioning the cables, maybe the shop is right. Here is his reply:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not a problem...lets get the car back and I will look into it. I must admit to you the shifter/linkage/bushings are all worn and was very sloppy. I thought we did OK with it... but obviously not. We added "extra" support to take up some of the slop. Lets get it in and We will take a look.[/FONT]

Wow talk about bad timing. Its pretty easy to pop the boot off and look at the cable ends yourself if you even want to bother before taking it in.

On another note about the shift cable adjustment tool I still havent seen one pop up on eBay. Does anyone have one I can borrow for a few days and send back?

Wow talk about bad timing. Its pretty easy to pop the boot off and look at the cable ends yourself if you even want to bother before taking it in.

On another note about the shift cable adjustment tool I still havent seen one pop up on eBay. Does anyone have one I can borrow for a few days and send back?

You wont find a tool cause there isnt one... Use your hands. Take the left front tire off(make it alot easier) and push in on the orange clip and slide the cable end in or out.

You wont find a tool cause there isnt one... Use your hands. Take the left front tire off(make it alot easier) and push in on the orange clip and slide the cable end in or out.
there is a tool. its designed to hold the shifter still so that when you push the orange clips the cables are set to the correct lengths.

So being that the shop said my "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]shifter/linkage/bushings are all worn and was very sloppy" [/FONT]I decided on taking striker2 up on his offer for the SVT stock shifter. I forget why the photo says "zetec."

striker2 said:
this is the stock one from my SVT, but yes all 98+ manual shifters are the same (pre98s are different).

It does not include a shift knob though, and I think the silver one I currently have on the car is a cap, not a knob. So I was thinking of getting one of these :laugh:. Will this fit on the stock SVT shifter?

101_0686.jpg

That knob will probably be the same design as the one you have where it fits on a cap and tightens down in place.

So being that the shop said my "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]shifter/linkage/bushings are all worn and was very sloppy" [/FONT]I decided on taking striker2 up on his offer for the SVT stock shifter. I forget why the photo says "zetec."

It does not include a shift knob though, and I think the silver one I currently have on the car is a cap, not a knob. So I was thinking of getting one of these :laugh:. Will this fit on the stock SVT shifter?

101_0686.jpg
Turbo Zetec 'tour is my SN on NECO which is why its on the paper. after looking at the shift knob again, Dyoel182 is right, it sits down over a plastic cap and uses set screws to hold it to the shaft, i must have missed that when looking at it the first time.

That knob will probably be the same design as the one you have where it fits on a cap and tightens down in place.

after looking at the shift knob again, Dyoel182 is right, it sits down over a plastic cap and uses set screws to hold it to the shaft, i must have missed that when looking at it the first time.

So does this mean the 8 ball won't work? Will it not sit tightly. I would hate for it to sit lose on the shifter :nonono:. I just thought it'd look really cool on a csvt :shrug:.

You can't tell me this doesn't look awesome :laugh:

IMG_1172.jpg

Back