• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cng fuel?

I only know one person who daily drives a CNG car and he fills up at home with a wall mounted system of some sort. Its a Civic but I'm not sure if its a conversion or a fleet car.

There are quite a few of them around here in AZ. We had this horrible rebate system that you buy a alternative fuel vehical, and you would get a HUGE rebate. So during this time a lot of companys purchased a lot of CNG contours and F150s for their fleets. I see about two CNG contours a day. They all have horrible ass sag as well, I guess those extra tanks are heavy.

That depends region to region. CNG is measured differently than gas but I think it usually works out to about the same as regular unleaded.

There are quite a few of them around here in AZ. We had this horrible rebate system that you buy a alternative fuel vehical, and you would get a HUGE rebate. So during this time a lot of companys purchased a lot of CNG contours and F150s for their fleets. I see about two CNG contours a day. They all have horrible ass sag as well, I guess those extra tanks are heavy.

It was!! I put them together and installed them :blackeye:. And yes upgraded rear springs were used with struts. During the install we used an industrial crane to move them around.

I really wish we kept the demonstration video they made of the tanks.They literally took these tanks....shot them with 12 gauge slugs....dropped a 5ton slap of concrete on it...lite it on fire etc etc. The tank never leaked.

After working with the contours. I was promoted to the team leader for the cng crown victorian line. I also worked with the DNR expeditions. I also did the texas highway patrol vehicles too. Then the CNG &LPG f-150s:cool:

Oh the good old days..:crazy:

how much would a "kit"cost for a tour?

Back then...2k+....thats without the upgraded fuel lines...electrical work. New injectors were needed and a tune would be added. The pistons were also changed during this process.

Better to buy a car already fitted with this equipment.

The conversion of the vehicle had reinforced subframes, from behind the seats to the trunk lid.

I wouldn't bother, it would be MUCH cheaper to buy a used CNG tour.

Edit beaten to the punch!

heavens no i dont plan on doing this to my tour. It would be a waste around here probably. I just saw that tour on ebay and was curious.

If I had a garage where I could install a filler for a CNG vehicle it might be forth it. My place right now would be ideal since gas is paid for by the city but I dont have the ability to mount something out in the parking lot just to hook up my car.

My '98 CNG car holds about 4 gallons in addition to the regular gas tank. Once the CNG runs out, the car switches to regular gas almost seamlessly.

Be aware of the comp-u valve, which always fails if it hasnt been replaced. I got the car with 25K, and the valve failed at 50K.

didnt the value of these cng cars skyrocket over last summer when regular gas prices went sky high? i remember reading a discussion about it

Back