• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A Flickering battery light....

tarterd

New CEG'er
Fooled me the first time making me think I was having an alternator failure. So convincing the first time, that the car began to show symptoms of the battery being totally drained. Such as...while driving, the car spat and sputtered until I turned off the lights. When I did turn off the lights, it ran well enough to get me home. Thank goodness...

After getting home, the battery had totally died; reaffirming my beliefs. Ordered and changed to a rebuilt alternator (new casing) from Bill J and the Team Ford crew. The replacement install went well; so, I assume the rebuilt job is in place as it should be. My mechanic ace and I even did a voltage test on the battery to ensure the rebuilt was working as it should. The reading showed almost approx 14 volts. We completed this almost four weeks ago.

Not until this evening first I notice the RPM's are hovering around 500 while sitting at idle in a parking lot; unusually low for my car, as I normally see the needle above 750. I mash the peddle and the needle returns to the 500 range but continues to idle, quietly. I figure, as long as its running, maybe its just an anomoly for now.

Drive around a bit, and viola, there's the flickering battery light again; just like a month ago. An additional indicator, the ABS light begins to flicker as well. The car is still running, but within 5 minutes the RPM needle goes dead. To keep the injectors running so the car can continue, I turn off the headlights, with just the fog lights on (its dark outside), and the RPM needle returns. So I figure I'm back on the same issue which caused me to change the alternator the first time. But, I wonder is it possible the new (rebuilt) alternator is failing just like the first? Could it be some other electrical (wiring) problem associated with the alternator or preventing it from doing its job? Fuse, junction, wiring?

So, I'm here gents, begging for assistance again. Many thanks in advance for any viable suggestions.

Regards,
DT

1995, 2.5 Dura, MTX, creeping up on 84K miles

I'm no expert but that sounds electrical/wiring related.
Reman alternators seem to have a record for being unreliable though, so in summary, I'm no help.

In my experienced, flashing battery light combined with a flashing ABS light means no or little alternator charge. Nothing a free battery test at AutoZone or the like couldn't verify.

rebuilt units seem to have an INCREDIBLY high failure rate.

NEW OEM units have a much better track record. I would think that your alternator is failing (again).

Test your battery voltage while you are experiencing this(these) symptoms. You should also check your wiring from your battery to the ground, and battery to the alternator (through the mega fuse)

Also check the alternator to ground connections for flaky wiring.

... To keep the injectors running so the car can continue, I turn off the headlights, with just the fog lights on (its dark outside), and the RPM needle returns. ...1995, 2.5 Dura, MTX, creeping up on 84K miles

It is your aftermarket fog lights wiring or fog light mod which is causing you problems. The charge "request" wiring goes through Fuse 5 (fog lights).

1) Check to make sure Fuse 5 (fog lights) is working well.
2) Make sure the holder for Fuse 5 in not rusted or loose.
3) Check fog lamp holder and wiring at fog lamps
4) Check wiring from alternator to Fuse 5.
5) Check wiring from battery to ground.

6) If all the above check out, you may have to do the golden tour alternator wiring fix in Duratec Maintenance-Read First.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41

My friend has a duratec mtx and when his alternator was going bad the charge light flashed @ high rpms untill one day the light stayed solid and the charge test revieled that it was toast.

Hopefully you will find an answer to this problem. If the alternator checks out good, and the battery checks out good, having a 95 like me you could be part of this problem:

OWNER NOTIFICATION PROGRAM 99M03
Certain 1995-1997 Contour and Mystique vehicles - Under Hood Wire Harness - Additional Coverage. (EXPIRED)

I certainly hope not, but with any electrical issues on this time frame of the car one has to always be suspecious....

Just want to eliminate another check point for you.

Merry Christmas

Thanks for the help....I've ordered an alternator replacement for the rebuilt one...there's no charge as its still covered under a presumed warranty. Just have to mail the crap one back at my own expense.

One last question - I was told I couldn't get anything other than a rebuilt alternator, as that's the item that comes out from the one part number that has to be used when ordering. If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is; but it sounded odd to me.

Is the only way you can get a new OEM alternator is to buy a new car? Does Ford not sell new OEM alternators as a replacement part for the 95 Contour SE models? Okay, it was two questions...

Thanks...

On some items Ford does not stock new parts. Remember the Contour is obsolete now. I ran into the same problem on an emergency generator I have at a building that uses a Ford motor. I can get a new one from the manufacturer but not from Ford.

Back