• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

EVAP "not ready" when scanned

annacon

CEG'er
I have just cleared the codes on my daughter's car and the I/M monitors read ready for all applicable systems except EVAP. I have driven the car with the fuel level at 3/4 -1/2 full as recommended and still no change in status. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you, Keith

I think all it means is that monitor has not run yet. It often takes a while for all conditions to be met for all monitors to run. It could take a week or two or even more depending on when all conditions have been met and the monitor runs.

Hah! Mine took 6 or 8 weeks a couple a of years ago.

It's not important unless you have an emissions test overdue. Even then, many states still allow a "pass" with one or two "not ready" monitors. Check YOUR state's requirements if you are facing this issue.

Emission test is due. I will stop and find if the EVAP not ready will cause any problems. Thanks, Keith

just keep driving the car. thats why i failed my NYS inspection today. i went through about 8 drive cycles and the system tests still werent done

the evap test is one of the longest monitors to run. as stated check your local emission laws as you should be able to pass with one or two self tests not completed. I know each time I have gone for emissions testing here in CT that the EVAP monitor has not run and I still pass.

Emissions test was passed this morning even though the EVAP shows not ready. Inspector said one system showing not ready is acceptable. This is in NJ. Thanks again to all who have helped me with this, Keith

I'll check it again to see if I can pin down a mileage figure for it to show ready.

I'll check it again to see if I can pin down a mileage figure for it to show ready.

The interval is unrelated to any specific mileage.

It's simply a very narrow window in which the test might be run in a drive cycle. If all the test entry parameters are not within range, then the test is skipped for that drive cycle.

EVAP now shows ready. Car was driven approx. 200 mi. under various conditions. Hope this helps. Keith

Back