• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any local (to Rochester Hills) electrical engineers around?

SPATT

Veteran CEG'er
Need some help with a project at work. None of us have to know-how. Involves powering a LED backlight from a laptop.

well why dont you tell us exactly what it is you want to do.

I don't get the impression that you're local. Someon needs to come by and take a look. If you're an electrical engineer that knows about backlight control, let me know. Otherwise buzz off please.

Are you powering an LED backlight from a laptop screen or something? Or trying to power some LED backlight device through a USB port power?

Are you powering an LED backlight from a laptop screen or something?

yes, we replaced the backlight on the fujitsu p1630. need to power it off the stock battery. constant current of 2.7 amps at around 9.55v

So the stock backlight was a power consumption 1.84W and the new backlight is 25.785W.

A good size laptop battery would be drained in probably less than 30-45 minutes with just the backlight alone.

2.7A is a fairly considerable amount to run through a printed Circuit Board of the density in a laptop I'd say. So finding a good point to tap in my be a challenge.

An a note that's more helpful/encouraging... there are many options to regulate from one voltage to another.

What's the intended purpose for this backlight? Why are you repacing it with something that's so much more power? Do you want to have the power circuitry inside the laptop case? Do you want a battery life longer than 20min?

So the stock backlight was a power consumption 1.84W and the new backlight is 25.785W.

A good size laptop battery would be drained in probably less than 30-45 minutes with just the backlight alone.

2.7A is a fairly considerable amount to run through a printed Circuit Board of the density in a laptop I'd say. So finding a good point to tap in my be a challenge.

An a note that's more helpful/encouraging... there are many options to regulate from one voltage to another.

What's the intended purpose for this backlight? Why are you repacing it with something that's so much more power? Do you want to have the power circuitry inside the laptop case? Do you want a battery life longer than 20min?

2.7A is the battery output if I read it correctly, but I'm not local, so I could be wrong :laugh:

It's a 10.8v 5200mAh battery. Runs the computer alone for around 5 hours. Computer draws around 20-30W.

Got some wires soldered to the fins that inteface with the battery currently

Hopefully wanted PWM/dimming control on the LEDs, hence the control circuit. I can't find any that put out the 145mA per LED that I need, and I wouldn't know much of what to do with it if i had it. Also need to integrate thermal monitoring...

Direct sunlight readability. Stock screen is <250nit, ours is around 1000. Yes, inside. Yes, hoping for around an hour on the 5200mAh batt.

2.7A is the battery output if I read it correctly, but I'm not local, so I could be wrong :laugh:

You are wrong, so please go away, you're not helping.

Back