• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tire size ...

vk med

CEG'er
I need to put new tires on my steelies (14''), should I stay with 185/70/14 or go to a 195? What's the best to fit?:shrug:

I know that this reply may be reaching you late, I need to read the forums a little more often. On my contour I put 195/70/14 on with no problems. I just liked the little more peace of mind I got from having just a little more meat of the tire on the road. From there I went up to 205/65/14 the next time I changed tires. Now I've got new rims and have 215/40/17 on the car. Whatever you do, make sure you get them aligned with whatever size you decide to go with so you don't eat up you new tires. Good luck, MIKE.

I know that this reply may be reaching you late, I need to read the forums a little more often. On my contour I put 195/70/14 on with no problems. I just liked the little more peace of mind I got from having just a little more meat of the tire on the road. From there I went up to 205/65/14 the next time I changed tires. Now I've got new rims and have 215/40/17 on the car. Whatever you do, make sure you get them aligned with whatever size you decide to go with so you don't eat up you new tires. Good luck, MIKE.

Does 215/40/17 rub at all?

215/45/17 would be the more correct size and with 99% of wheels will not rub
225/45/17 can also be used with no to little rubbing issues depending on offset, suspension, and particular car
Even wider sizes can be used with the perfect offset, sometimes spacers, and a little fender rolling. The front is usually not a problem at all just the rear.

And all this has been covered a million times.

Back