• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

trunk will not open

so is it fine to use the ones for use with a spoiler on a car without one?

and yeah, my key doesnt work in mine either, but the drivers latch and the remote work just fine, maybe this became a problem and the locks "froze" after not much use.

yes you can use the struts for a car with a spoiler on one that does not. in fact they are cheaper then the struts for cars without spoilers from ford. you can not go the other way around however.

I will mess with it on friday when I get home :)...

Im gonna take out the back seat towards the bottom and reach up and pull the seat release, then crawl back and fix the latch. I will let you all know how it goes. It might be harder than it sounds, I don't know how much room ill have down there..

Well I had a problem similar, but my key still opened the trunk. The remote was making noise, but the trunk wasn't popping. As it turns out the solenoid to pop the latch wasn't kicking out. I took it apart and cleaned it and now it works. However I did notice the cable running through the to the latch from the trunk key hole is kind of hokey. Once you get back there chances are it is bound up as elraido mentioned. The rear seats come out easy enough. Shouldn't really be a huge problem. I'm guessing it should take you less then 15min to get in the trunk.

only pre98 have a seperate trunk key. 98 + cars its only one key, unless someone changed the locks.

hmmm... i learnt on here a while ago that a different key opens the trunk. there were too many ppl who couldnt open their trunks with the keys. no way we all had the locks changed. so u're saying they all just froze? i've got the same issue. my remote doesnt pop the trunklid, neither does my key. only the release lever by the driver's seat works. even then, i'd have to pull it more than once.

hmmm... i learnt on here a while ago that a different key opens the trunk. there were too many ppl who couldnt open their trunks with the keys. no way we all had the locks changed. so u're saying they all just froze? i've got the same issue. my remote doesnt pop the trunklid, neither does my key. only the release lever by the driver's seat works. even then, i'd have to pull it more than once.

im not sure, I'm gonna try something on the lock itself to see if I can get it to work. I know on my dads 1998 contour SE it was one key for ignition, locks, and trunk. I cant see the SVTs being any different.

This exact thing happened to me. I took a rod, and fit it between the middle arm rest on the back seat, you should have a little space to see the trunk. I took the rod, popped my seat realease, crawled into the trunk and flipped the red switch over. But then again the switch was my problem, don't know if its yours.

This exact thing happened to me. I took a rod, and fit it between the middle arm rest on the back seat, you should have a little space to see the trunk. I took the rod, popped my seat realease, crawled into the trunk and flipped the red switch over. But then again the switch was my problem, don't know if its yours.

it most likely is... i will let you know on friday :laugh:

the red switch in the trunk latch defeats the interior realease for the trunk. it does not effect the key and I don't believe it effects the keyless entry for the trunk.

I always wondered why they bothered on post 98 with the switch because the ignition key also openned the trunk. it makes great sense on the pre98s since there is a seperate trunk key.

see pre98s have trunk keys

picture.php

Last edited:
before you start tearing into the back seat, spray some penetrating lube into the lock, let it sit for a couple minutes, then put the key in and work it back and forth gently. the tumblers in that lock bind up reall good from lack of use.

well i had some time today and im in the trunk... i flipped the switch and the keyless still wont work... can i get in there and manually unlatch it somehow?

well i had some time today and im in the trunk... i flipped the switch and the keyless still wont work... can i get in there and manually unlatch it somehow?

Possible, I've done it before. Was pocking with a flathead and stumbled on something, it just released. Not sure what it was, was a while ago. Had to replace the entire lock as it was toast.

i unbolted the latch....

it just came up somehow :)... im gonna go to the junkyard next weekend and get a new latch i think..

i unbolted the latch....

it just came up somehow :)... im gonna go to the junkyard next weekend and get a new latch i think..

Did the cable attachments look ok? That would have been my first guess as to the source of the problem

Did the cable attachments look ok? That would have been my first guess as to the source of the problem

The cables were fine, everything works now...

The actuator was stuck but now its unstuck...

It works now, no worries :)..

Back