• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looks great sounds like crap.....

That is not a bad price considering the Ford alternator cost between $160 and $200. The shop might get a little discount on the alternator. Then, maybe $150 for a couple hours labor and some kind of warrantee. There are risks involved with doing work. If the new alternator fails they are out a couple more hours replacing it and dealling with a dissatisfied customer.

Hope everything goes well with the exhaust issues.

I just heard from the shop, they are funny! Quoted me 300 for the install and 165 for the ALT. They said the labor cost was due to a pulley they have to remove? Then stated they will look at the headers and they are concerned its a bolt backing out or missing from lack of service, they seem to think they told me to bring it back after a few hundred miles, they told me 10k miles. And i replied heck i have only put 10k on her since i bought it. Im just ready to call it quits with them, or i could try to talk to the manager, im dealing with Amber and she may not have the power to do much or the top brass dont know the full situation. Any suggestions? They are part of a ford dealer so im sure they want happy clients. Im lost yet again!!!

lol the new alt doesnt come with a pully but its nothing to pull the old and put it on the new so idk wtf they are trying to pull on you.

lol the new alt doesnt come with a pully but its nothing to pull the old and put it on the new so idk wtf they are trying to pull on you.

I wonder if i should call and talk with Amber, and if all does not go good i should get in touch with a higher up? I was fairly upset from the last stuff they did but now with them trying to CHOCK me in kind of pissed. I paid them big bucks to do crap work.

Here is the reply i got.

[FONT=&quot]Troy,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I apologize for taking so long to get back to you, I needed to run this by our manager whom was gone Friday, and I was gone most of the day yesterday with a family emergency.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The price of the new OEM alternator is $189.99, and normally lists for $216.65. Installation will run you $300 as there is a pulley swap involved and this does include the tax and shop supply. We would be happy to take a look at the header leak issue. I am of course concerned that this could be a leak from loose or missing bolts that could be from not having the vehicle return for the proper checkup within a couple hundred miles as we discussed. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please let me know when it would be convenient to set up your appointment.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Talk to you soon,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Amber Aldridge-Feddema[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Team Service Manager[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fast Specialties

And WTF are they saying a few hundred miles bring it back, thay stated 10k. My house is 45 miles from them so it would take about 4 days to go a few hundred miles? I spoke with them 2 months after my install about doing the pillar pod and nothing was mentioned about hey bring the car in for a check up. DAM &*#$%
[/FONT]

I don't recall swapping a pulley when I replaced my alternator...what the heck?

Dropping suspension parts so I could my hands in and the alternator out, yeah, but no pulley changes.

Something smells.

IF a pulley swap was necessary, and sometimes it is fi the new alt doesn't come with the proper size pulley, it takes exactly 12 minutes with a rattle gun in a shop! PS: that includes a 10 min break!! Now why wouldn't it come with the proper pulley? these aren't the only cars that have this alt and it is a hit an miss wether or not the pulley is correct. Also I have gotten alts that didn't have a pulley and you need to ues yours.... hence the pulley change time info....

My friend these people are running you around a tree and continue to waste your time hoping you will just go away. That is actually Ambers job to get as much loot from a customer and then get rid of ones that complain. It is similar to an Insurance Adjuster who's job is to adjust the insurance companies losses downward, not actually help the client. Remember these people are not your friend, and you yourself said they are part of a stealership, that may also feeling the crunch of the economy. Most stealerships are not noted for good service. A private shop would not have ignored you in using the correct gaskets..... the stealership did since first, they don't care and second, some jackass there knows better than you anyway you are just the guy handing out the loot. Besides, if you don't have a continuing problem to come back for how can they "find" new issues to fix? You should just hand them money and continue to pay them to fix their mistakes. Loose or missing bolts...... some idiot most likely didn't torque them properly!

I just can't stand poor service, arrogant attitudes, and ignorant mechanics...... Contour are people too (based on the portland city council's statement that trees have rights)

AF

They are not "part" of a Ford dealership or any car model dealership. They are their own independent speed shop. The head boss/owner is Ron, although Amber (she's a scion of the Aldridge Motorsports family in Portland, active in building/racing Fords, did you want to shop for a used Boss 351 or Boss 429, they may still have theirs for sale) is likely married to Ron.
Travis, the head of the shop crew, is a younger guy but he is no slouch about dealing with cars. I can't speak for the other shop guys.

Was there an issue about which gaskets you had for that header install?

If the issue is a loose header bolt, there's been enough time kvetching on these boards to have found some air tools and extensions and have it done by now.

And if their alt quote is too high, go to ABE, they got all their Contour install practice on my car.

They are not "part" of a Ford dealership or any car model dealership. They are their own independent speed shop. The head boss/owner is Ron, although Amber (she's a scion of the Aldridge Motorsports family in Portland, active in building/racing Fords, did you want to shop for a used Boss 351 or Boss 429, they may still have theirs for sale) is likely married to Ron.
Travis, the head of the shop crew, is a younger guy but he is no slouch about dealing with cars. I can't speak for the other shop guys.

Was there an issue about which gaskets you had for that header install?

If the issue is a loose header bolt, there's been enough time kvetching on these boards to have found some air tools and extensions and have it done by now.

And if their alt quote is too high, go to ABE, they got all their Contour install practice on my car.

I would have tightened the bolt or bolts down myself but i paid alot of cash for a service and until i know im on my own dont want to void anything that will have the shop fix their mistake. About the header gaskets, i brought in the correct fel-pro and the junk that came from MSDS. I told them to use the fel-pro but they opted to use the junk. If this is the problem it is a way bigger job than tightening some bolts. And yes ABE will do my alt,lol

Amber said to bring it up and they will look at it. If they do a good job as far as attitude and speedy service i will not have a bad taste in my mouth about this shop. I would like to do a DYNO day when the super stang is done. Im at 40% with the 5 speed swap. Just got the aluminum Fidanza flywheel so im a bit happy:drool:

I will go see Amber this week and see if i can keep my cool. A few years ago i would have pulled a John Q:laugh:

quick question about the oil filter...if it was as loose as you say it was, how come you never noticed oil pouring out from under the car when it was running?

i am not saying it wasn't loose, but it seems odd that you could go 2000 miles with a loose filter and not know about it.

quick question about the oil filter...if it was as loose as you say it was, how come you never noticed oil pouring out from under the car when it was running?

i am not saying it wasn't loose, but it seems odd that you could go 2000 miles with a loose filter and not know about it.

It does seem odd but im going on what my buddy at jiffy lube said.

Back