• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Argh!!! The Stealership!!! Why why why!

Okay,

So I was having some major issues with the car over the past few days. I got some codes (no detail, as I'm posting just to vent) and I limped to the dealership on my way to work.

I got there at 9am, described the problem to the services adviser.... The fact that they call these guys advisers is really beyond me... He knows so little about cars, it's not funny. I find that the advisers jump to a conclusion that would make any non-technical person believe makes sense, and thereby justify a fairly large expense to repair.

It's like they are there to 'test the water' on your comfort level on a repair price.
here is what I think an average dialogue between a service adviser and a customer would sound like...
adviser (A) "hi there welcome to ford, what seems to be the problem with your car?"
Customer (C) "ummm, like I'm not sure... my car like beeps when I turn it on"
A:eek:ooh, that's bad, it can be a pretty serious problem when the flux capacitor produces an audible with greater than 1500 decibels."
C: Really, the car is not worth that much, so I hope it's not expensive
A: I think we can get it done for $500 or less
C: ummm, ok, that's not too bad, please fix it
****since the initial offering was accepted by the customer, the adviser types into the computer to call back with an additional $250 spend to complete the repair. But only after we've committed to the $500 in labor so far*******

Sorry, back to my story...I accept a $100 diagnosis fee, to tell me that I've got the codes I've already told them about...
I accept a call 4 hours later, and authorize a $300 spend to remove and replace the UIM - I know it's disgusting, I've done this myself in the driveway about 3 times in the last few days- But included in the $300 is the replacement of the damaged wires to the fuel injectors. So I figure, okay, $400 all in, and I'm going to be driving home happy and done with a problem I could not diagnose.

That was my mistake. when he told me $300 I should have spazzed on him over the phone about highway robbery, and criminal pricing and generally been a disgruntled customer... but no. I said, ok.

I get the call 2 hours later (2 hours before the shop is closed) to say, oh, its not the wire, its the fuel injector connectors, and their $30 a piece, So, again, i'm thinking, frig, okay now we are at $640....I can still stomach that. Then he smells blood, 'no, the cost will be $100 for the diagnosis, $300 for the re and re of the UIM, $240 for the and $300 for labour, plus Ontarios 8% and Canada's 5%

A GRAND.... a ????ing grand....

I ask the adviser, and what if that is not the solution to my problem....
A: Well then we'll have to investigate more....

Me: "Close the hood, get all the screws and parts into a bag and leave them on the passenger seat" and push the car into the lot so I can get her towed home. I'm coming down right now, and am going to pay you $400.

A: ok..

NOW, thinking more straight I should have paid for $250!!! they only removed the UIM they didn't replace it!!! God!!!!

I am willing to pay for knowledge, I'm not willing to pay $97 per hour to tinker on the car... I can do that for Free.

Sorry, but my therapist feels talking about it is good for me...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
the :censored::censored::censored::censored: they did is so elementary, I cant believe they can get away with pulling parts and charging you for a diagnostic and they still dont know what is wrong.

BTW, autozone does free CEL reading.

I don't mess with dealerships anymore. Learned that the hard way with the mystique. This site can help you with nearly any problem you have.

Codes

Codes

I think I'm a bit of a fool....

I was hoping that they would be able to tell me something that not in the codes I pulled (yes, I told them the codes upon arrival). I have a code reader.

In all honesty, they did, the car was running so badly, and there were no misfire codes, and after making general repairs I still had no definitive results.

They at least told me that the problem was in either the injector wiring or the injector connectors.

I searched like a demon on this problem, and tried all the recommendations and still had no results.

I'm amazed they didn't tell you there was a unicorn in your exhaust and that they needed to replace that too.

this is so common in so many places. They work on your car not knowing what is wrong and keep swapping parts in the vain hope they will strike lucky and all the time expecting you to pay for the parts and their 'expertise' ROFL.... I figure with most jobs...for what it cost to take it to the stealership....you could futz up the job completely several times before getting it right and STILL come out in front ..G.

Honestly its what makes forums like this such a great tool for people who can do the work themselves. I know the last time I went to a dealership for a troubleshoot in a mazda they couldnt find the issue but 30 seconds after posting a question on the boards someone had the exact answer for that symptom.

I had a problem with a shop and what they did to someone's car that I ended up working on:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=37861&highlight=plugs

I went to the shop with the owner of the SVT and described to them what I did to get the car running. I told the svt owner that the shop should get something for finding out the problems that you had, but the "tinkering" they did should not be paid for because they actually made it worse.

I think you should have a local CEGr help you trouble shoot what is going on and get the car run-able. Do what I did and go back to the shop and try to work something out. They have no $ invested in your car as far as parts go, so they should lower the price down and just have you pay the diagnostics to help ease the pain. Just be nice but persistant. Good luck! - JOE

Details details details

Details details details

I have a litany of details to go over with my actual problems, I'll put it in the troubleshooting forum.

But you (at least one of you) was right, the cash I burned at the dealership should have been invested in some plug and play repairs. It was just timing. I needed to get to work, I tried to get the car to my regular dealership, but I just could not make it up the hill! (427)

Have a look at the troubleshooting section, and let me know what you think!
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=670898#post670898
Thanks
Peter

This problem is SOLVED

This problem is SOLVED

It was in fact the injector connnections, I had some EV6 pigtails that I soldered in, and the car runs like a dream! I called the dealership today to get the refund I was looking for and they 'assured' me they'd call me back.

I'll call them on friday to see what I can get back.

And let you all know about it!

Very cool, hopefully some money will come back your way. It doesn't hurt to ask - good luck

I got a refund!

I got a refund!

Well this came pretty fast, I asked for some rebate, and he called back and offered $100, and I jumped on in.

I'm sure I could have pressed on, and I had a good case for $150, but I thought screw it..take the money..be done with it.

Back