• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trans Removal

SVT1999R

New CEG'er
So I was pulling my car apart today to get the trans out and I was wondering can this be done without removing the struts?? If I have to remove them when I go to reinstall will i need a spring compresser?

just get the haynes or chilton manual

just get the haynes or chilton manual

Either manual has a pretty good description for pulling the trans. NO you don't pull the struts. Just the lower ball joint, subframe, and all that goes with it.

That is if you are pulling from the bottom.

Either manual has a pretty good description for pulling the trans. NO you don't pull the struts. Just the lower ball joint, subframe, and all that goes with it.

That is if you are pulling from the bottom.

Yes its coming out the bottom... What manuals are you talking about? If you cpould point me in a direction towards a good source I would really appricate it!!
Thanks

P

P

Pull it out the top with the engine...

I started out the wheel well, and ended up out the top...and glad I did...

Is a lift required or can this be done without one IE: jack stands and floor jack???

No lift is needed. I did it with just a jack and stands. I bought a cherry pickers just incase because only one engine mount is going to be left on.

No lift is needed. I did it with just a jack and stands. I bought a cherry pickers just incase because only one engine mount is going to be left on.

my motor is being supported by a jack stand using part of an engine stand and some blocks to get it high enough.

Guess that works too lol. I only had one jack though and liked being able to use the jack to lower the trans.

title of his post...Haynes or Chilton's

I'll say this, the book of lies believes you own a 95, and from the images withing, a 95 mondeo at that.

they speak of a mechanical a speedo pick up, and rod shift linkage among other things. they also insist you completely remove the subframe, and tell you to take the steering rack loose from the subframe, which for me, preved much harder than just taking the steering shaft and PAS lines loose and dropping the whole thing.

I'd get a 98 ford cd if I where you, it's proved to be my most valuable asset. PM me, I might be able to help with that part

and be careful not to spin the subframe nuts in their retainers when you try to get the subframe back up. its a real pita. I suggest a big dumb helper...

my motor is being supported by a jack stand using part of an engine stand and some blocks to get it high enough.

sorry to double post, but just have to say, thanks man, thats going to come in mighty handy when I have to put a diff in. two harbor freight jacks is a lot cheaper than buying my own cherry picker (when I move, I lose access to my brothers)

that makes twice you've saved me a lot of money in the tranny dept...

So does the subframe not have to come out?? Because Im at that stage and was really trying to think of some better way to do this cause it seems as if its going to be a bigger pita than my AWD stealth was and i want to get it done but I am fearing that the subframe will be a beast to fight with to get it back in!

it is sort of a PITA to get it back up there, but it has to come down. I've heard people say to only loosen the passenger side, and that it will drop down enough on the driver side to sneak it out. I would probably pull the strut/knuckle assembly all the way out on the driver side this way as well for clearance.

the biggest pain in getting the subframe back up for me was getting the steering input shaft on the rack back into the hole in the firewall while simultaneously trying to lift the subframe into place, but I did it on my back with no helper. on a lift with a helper or two and it would be a cake walk. just dont spin the subframe nuts in their retainers inside the frame/unibody, that turns into an epic PITA. I wouldn't touch them with an impact, I spun mine with a click-click torque wrench.

either you drop the subframe which isn't a big deal or you pull the engine and trans together out the top or drop them out together out the bottom with the sub frame ....

G

G

either you drop the subframe which isn't a big deal or you pull the engine and trans together out the top or drop them out together out the bottom with the sub frame ....

Go to plan B...pull the engine and trans and deal with it out of the car. That's what I had to do and I am thankful I did...

Back