• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rice burner?? wtf

It does not matter what kind of car you drive. All that matters is that you like it and when you do tune it you use real stuff, not those fake plastic intercoolers.

It is not always about making the car go fast, it is about making the car your own. I like my CSVT. I am upgrading stuff. I was the only one that took a non-musle car to the company car show. Hopefully others will join in next year. Cars like this are the hotrods of the future. In 20 years you might not be able to find an old 69 camero in someones barn, but you might find an old neglected 2004 Evo, Supra or even CSVT and you'll think back that was a fun car. I'll buy this one and fix it up. It is a changing world and we need to change with it.

There is a difference between cars with big V8's and cars with Turbocharged 2 liter engines. That difference is where you have the torque. Since the Big engines have more torque in the low RPM ranges it makes them feel more powerful. But, if you are driving the small engine in it's range you can get the same speed and power.

Again it is all about having fun tuning your car, and enjoying what other people have done. A mustang would be fun to, but the CSVT fits my needs better.

Just my 2 cents worth. Lets play nice.

Agreed. I used the same analogy in the past that the enthusiast cars coming out today will be in the same catagory as yesteryear's muscle/pony cars are today. The one place I would end the analogy is that we can only hope that manufacturers will begin making the parts that today's cars will need in the future like they do now for those muscle/pony cars of old. I guess if there is a market it will happen. Let's hope so.
Karl

98SVTC I see that you have a wide array of cars. Pretty sweet.

06 F150 Supercrew 5.4L FX4
98 SVT Contour #4362 Born 1/6/1998
86 Ranger GT (For Sale)
69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider (For Sale)
67 Formula-S Barracuda

I also hope that there are replacement parts like: floor panels, doors, windows and such.

A lot more than you think. Friend of mine has a all motor crx that will run atleast a high 12 on good tires (DRs or slicks). Bunch of friends have turbo'd,supercharged, or swapped civics that will run 12s or better. One buddy has the biggest pos looking 91 hatch that ran a 7.2 in the 1/8 and has a LOT more in it. I'm talking as it sits (when tranny is fixed) it will run in the low 11s. With a better wastegate, manifold, injectors, and tuning it will be well into the 10s and from there he'll only go faster possibly spraying it. The car is street driven occasionally and has the required amount of interior in it to be legal in a certain national drag racing class.

and there is the quote
changing an engine in a civic is as easy as changing your underware.

It's because they're all brainless lemmings that don't know much about cars, so they get what "everyone" else gets... a mustang.
Wow some one is full of them self. Most people buy a mustang because they are cheap and easy to mod, how does this make them brainless?
I hate them..
You gay?
they're slow bland cars, and their owners are idiots.
Even a bone stock GT would smoke your car, and just so you know, you just called a very large percentage of this coutry an idiot simply because they drive a mustang.
If they get beat by someone else, then they pay someone to make their car faster... and most likely have no clue exactly what they paid for.
There is always a fater car out there, and everyone i know that drives a mustang do the work themselves.

98SVTC I see that you have a wide array of cars. Pretty sweet.

06 F150 Supercrew 5.4L FX4
98 SVT Contour #4362 Born 1/6/1998
86 Ranger GT (For Sale)
69 Fiat 850 Sport Spider (For Sale)
67 Formula-S Barracuda

I also hope that there are replacement parts like: floor panels, doors, windows and such.
Thanks. I have a hard time parting with vehicles. I've only traded in a few (another '69 Fiat 850 for a '74 X1/9), lost the X1/9 in a divorce, lost another '70 650 to an accident and some of those parts built the '69 in my sig. Oh, and I traded an '82 Merc LN7 for the Ranger and a 2003 F150 for the '06 FX4. The Barracuda was my first car which I bought in the summer of '69 (as the song goes).
Karl

I rode in a 401whp supercharged (4 psi) mustang last night. It was a 2001, originally a v6. Has everything now. Built 4.6, suspension, tremec t56, 8.8 rearend w/ gears, hardened axles, racing seats, audio stuff,etc.
You wouldn't believe what my friend paid for it if I told you. He works at a ford dealer and it was a trade-in so he got a steal.
He has a 320whp+ wrx and I think he likes the mustang better. Obviously it's faster and with all the work done to it, handles better too. I can't believe how stable it was at high speed.

my pointt to all of this is why do it seem like its always the camaro,mustang guys that feellike they need to look down on the tuner community. been around individuals that have supper cars and they dont even speak that way. about the tuner community.

I have a Camaro, it's 10 times faster then my Contour SVT. As a matter of fact it is the fastest car I've built thus far. However I do not go around flaunting that in peoples faces. It's not hard to make a V8 sports car fast. Especially a Mustang. Mustang parts are a dime a dozen. Believe it or not, but when I started modifying my Camaro back in 96 there was NO aftermarket parts for the 3rd gen F-bodies (82-92). There really still is only a hand full of parts out there. They didn't pick up aftermarket until the 4th gens came out (93-02). Which is why I put a 69 350 in it. Case in point, not all Pony car owners act the same.

but it wasn't really meant for cornering, was it?

Yes, actually, Ford has always spent a lot of R&D on mustang handling. Furthermore, the fox body mustang (79-93) is not difficult to set up for handling. A hand-full of after market parts (many of the same ones you would put on a contour (shocks, struts, poly-bushings, sway bars, tubular a-arms, camber plates, lowering springs, etc....)) make it a decent performer on a road-course. We should also not forget that Steeda, Saleen, Roush, Shelby, etc... have all successfully used the mustang as a platform for racing.

Here's an example: I was using a lift at my brothers shop. One of the employees there has a Mustang with Steeda parts (yup, he put them on himself... he's a "Mustang guy"), and saw me working on my Contour. He said I should stop waisting my time and money and buy a mustang. I laughed at him until he left. This guy should not be installing his own mods, let alone repairing others cars... yet he would be classified as a "Mustang guy". Despite having headers and some other stuff... his car is still slow.

If a mustang was given to me, I would sell it right away (I'd keep a Cobra for a few months though). Now I obviously have grown to hate mustangs.... I'm sure Ford's favoritism of the mustang might have something to do with it.

I had a contour, SVT at that. 3L Hybrid, oil accumulator under the cowl, H&R springs, koni struts, torsen, etc... and I put it all together myself too. Was it fun to drive? sure. Do I miss it? daily. But would I rather have it over my mustang? Not a chance in ****. Do I think that everyone should rather drive a mustang over a contour? Also, not a chance in ****.

I must say that your automatic stereotyping of mustang owners is deplorable. You say domestic drivers are "jerks" to everyone that is not one, well if we want to go purely on personal experiences and label people this way, based on your opinions, I would have to conclude that all contour owners are automotive bigots. Thankfully, I believe otherwise because I have met other contour owners and was one. Of-course based on your logic I could also conclude that front wheel drive vehicle owners (import or domestic) are all idiots. I mean, the bulk of front wheel drive vehicles in this area are all slow, stock, daily commute vehicles, at least one is involved in an accident every day, the majority are taken to mechanics, because the owners are incapable of performing their own maintenance, and there are thousands of cavaliers, civics, contours, etc...., so does that mean that front wheel car owners are all idiots and all front wheel drive vehicles are worthless? I would hope not, but these seem to be the same ways in which you dismiss mustangs and domestic muscle.

BTW, how "fast" is your contour?

Now you want to know why I sold my SVT tour in order to buy my mustang(s)?

In no particular order of significance:
a. From the sale of my tour I bought 2 mustangs and built a motor, driveline, and put a turbo on one.
b. I wanted a light, 2-door car, RWD car.
c. PARTS ARE CHEAP!!
d. I grew up at various race tracks while family (immediate and extended) raced classic mustangs (drag and road), and have always desired the mustangs that were on the road during my youth (79-93 body).
e. My 14 second contour was too slow (yes, I have a time slip).
f. Did I mention that I have bought 2 mustangs, built a motor, driveline, turbo kit from the sale of the contour? how about the fact that I went all out with performance springs, a stand-alone computer, wheels/tires, sub-frame connectors, injectors, intercooler, fuel pump, fuel lines, pressure regulator, fuel rails, intake, cam, HVHP oil pump, heads, rods, clutch, etc... while putting it all together.

And as for Ford's favoritism of the mustang, would you kill your cash cow? Realistically, if it were not for the mustang, many people would not look twice at ford.

Last edited:
huh, this entire thread is hilarious! making it more funny is the fact that i just bought a 1987 Mustang GT....i'm already saving money to make it "fast" and handle well.

People who have fast cars dont talk smack. People with slow cars talk alot of smack out thier bootiehole. Theres the demographic.

It was supposed to be a joke. didnt mean to hurt your feelings. And im not fast enuff to be that fast guy that gets bs in my ear, Im the guy that pulls ahead of you on the highway when youre trying to get on.

Last edited:
oh, youre from Iowa, I guess I shoulda said cornhole huh? I bet that woulda made more sense to you. lol. Husker.

Last edited:
Back