• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Found a melt hose, but what exactly is it for?

BalusC

CEG'er
Willemstad, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
Check the pictures below (clickable for large).
1st pic shows the exact location (red circle at right bottom).
2nd pic shows the melt hose.

I am going to fix it soon, but I was doubting what exactly it is for? Air flow for the IRMC or so? The silver colored box in the left is the IRMC controller, is it?

Thats the PCV system fresh air hose. It connects that valve cover the the throttle body boot. It can cause a pretty nasty vacuum leak so be happy you found it.

Since you said clear I'll say this. Do not use your average clear hose on either side of the PCV. The hoses will collapse, melt, discolor and pretty much just waste your time. I only know because I tried when I added my catch cans and I wasnt happy with the results. :)

FYI (also for ones who uses the search): repairing this vacuum leak has solved the CEL errors P030x (misfire, actually P0301 and P0304), P1408 (EGR flow out of range) and P1519 (IRMC stuck closed). Before they used to come up within 5 mins after resetting. Now after hours of driving they didn't come up anymore.

I cheered a bit too early. After 2 days the CEL started to flash and stay on again. Well OK, after half a hour of driving (and the CEL repeats flashing when I stops at traffic lights), I have let the garage guy to scan the OBD codes. I got both the P030x codes back (P0301 and P0304). Fortunately the P1408 and P1519 didn't came back.

I think it's time to change the sparks :) The maintenance history of the car is a bit unknown to me :rolleyes: :laugh:

So, I just decided to take off the IRMC cover just for the heck of it to maybe possibly clean it out, and I ran into this exact same problem. So, I'm pretty glad that I happend to stumble upon this thread cause who knows how long the connector has been like that. So I'll be replacing it tonight or tomorrow more than likely.

Also, another question about the IRMC.

When you take off the plate to expose the internals of the IRMC, can you check if it's working properly by revving the engine in nuetral? Like, will still engage and open up the secondary banks? And how much will the gears move?

I've never seen the ICS beauty with inner strength logo thing before more info please:help:

The contour was already full of stickers and 3rd party logos when I bought it. Koni, Eibach, V12, Ford, Mobil1, you name it, there is a (subtle) sticker somewhere under the hood or under the trunk :laugh: Sorry, no info where to get it :) Only what I know is that it was imported as second hand car from Orlando, FL somewhere between 2001 and 2004.

When you take off the plate to expose the internals of the IRMC, can you check if it's working properly by revving the engine in nuetral? Like, will still engage and open up the secondary banks? And how much will the gears move?
I've tried it; I started the engine, then go to under the hood, then I pushed the electrical motor on its place with my fingers (otherwise it will jump out because it is not fasten by the plate anymore), then I pulled the gas switch and I can see the IRMC to work. Make sure that you push it on its place all the time until the engine runs stationary. The gears will move only one step forth and back.

I have a Matchbox Mondeo with the same logos on it
100_6394.jpg
100_6393.jpg

Back