• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Premium Sound Speaker discovery

FavoriteMystaque

Hard-core CEG'er
Recently, I resurrected the audio system in my 1998 Mystique. I installed a stock CD Radio to the factory amp, then the stock speakers sounded rattly. I took out a stock speaker, figured out the spider had unglued from the magnet, and while looking at it, noticed it had an odd dome tweeter that was glued to a short horn. There was an ICT logo on the magnet label. I looked it up, found they were like the Tannoy speaker pictured below! InductivelyCoupledTweeter, and they do work!
I decided to carefully cut loose the outer edge of the rubber surround and reglued the spider. Tricky to reassemble without scraping noises. Played well, fixed two others and reinstalled, they may be good enough to use with better equipment later on. Sound is clear and "together", just a bit of door "boominess". Not bad..Anyone else ever encounter these speakers?

TannoyICT.jpg

Nothing like mine. When I pulled mine out they were your basic paper cone with a full plastic surround like I'm used to seeing from the factory.

Mine have the same plastic frame. I actually have some extra "premium speakers" from a CSVT and they are the basic "whizzer cone" type. I was very surprised mine were different! I wonder if they were for a Mondeo (Tannoy is English)?

Are those the ones made in England? When I bought the 95 it came with two speakers, one stock and one like I've never seen, made in England. IIRC it was still paper though. I didn't really investigate it, just put it on the shelf cause I'm a pack rat.

Yes, my ICT speakers are made in England, so are the whizzer cones. My sister's Mystique had gray paper speakers.

Back