• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dome Light Trouble

I popped out the dome light and replaced the bulb, now it won't go back in. Nothing to attach it to? Went to FORD and the Fiche does not show anything to hold it in! What do i do??????????????

Other than Glue it to the headliner. :(

I popped out the dome light and replaced the bulb, now it won't go back in. Nothing to attach it to? Went to FORD and the Fiche does not show anything to hold it in! What do i do??????????????

Other than Glue it to the headliner. :(

What do you mean nothing to attach it to? Domelight clips on to a plastic frame that is attached to the headliner with two philips head screws.

I wonder how you removed it. If you removed the whole assembly (including the frame) from the headliner instead of just uncliping the dome light box, there is a chance that you broke the frame from the screws.

That plastic frame becomes very brittle after years. Mine fell out on its own and I head to fix it...

Dome Light

Dome Light

Thanks Jim...........

Clarification Needed:
If the frame stays up, how do you get the "glass" part open?
As far as I "Know ;)" its (the silvered part)hinged to open towards the roof (at least after the frames down) ...............................

Thanks Jim...........

Clarification Needed:
If the frame stays up, how do you get the "glass" part open?
As far as I "Know ;)" its (the silvered part)hinged to open towards the roof (at least after the frames down) ...............................

Jeez dude don't make this more complicated than it has to be. :crazy:

Take a flat head screwdriver and gently pry the dome light (the piece with the 2 maplights and the 1 big light) from the plastic frame that it clips too (the frame stays attached to the roof of the car with 2 phillips head screws). Now the domelight should be hanging from the wires and then you unclip the metal reflector piece to change the bulb that is under that metal cover.

Well since you got the whole thing in your hands:crazy:, your frame is already broke from the philips head screws. I imagine you will need to either try and fix it(as I did mine) or try and get yourself a new frame.

Dome Light of Death!

Dome Light of Death!

Thanks to all replys! I think my thick head has the idea NOW!

BTW Mine is older type with only one light (no map lights) Aaron, I know it doesn't matter. :)

Back