• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Not Good!

Goonz SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I took my wheels off last week and look what i found in one of the wheels. The whole inner side in completely worn down to the arrows that limit the wearing line :eek:. I dont know if I did this or I got them like this..The other 3 are perfectly fine :ponder:
Allignment was done prior to SZ..maybe im due for another one? :shrug: but this quick?

this is what it should look like

1-14.jpg

The bad one :eek:

2-10.jpg

3-11.jpg

4-10.jpg

Last edited:
Overall the tread on that one tire looks much lower than the other tire. But the very edge could be alignment.

What was the placement on the car?

What is/was your last alignment set to?

With that wear it looks like a combination of too much neg camber and toe out.

Yes, you should always consider getting an alignment done each time you do something to the front end (ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, struts, springs, LCAs). At $80, you could potentially save a whole lot of grief.

I got the allignment done with my 17s on last time, so switching to 18s may of changed that but that happening in a span of a month is kinda weird..? :ponder:

you could flip the tires onto different wheels (front left goes on front right wheel and vice versa), the tread would look stupid, but they would last you a while longer. Next time if you get directional tires you should get ones that have a uniform tread pattern so you could flip them when the inside wears some. This way you could get the full life out of them.

you could flip the tires onto different wheels (front left goes on front right wheel and vice versa), the tread would look stupid, but they would last you a while longer. Next time if you get directional tires you should get ones that have a uniform tread pattern so you could flip them when the inside wears some. This way you could get the full life out of them.

ehh, they are seasonal tires anyways so its not a biggy really. I dont know if I should just buy a new tire or change all 4 because although I love these tires, they are wicked loud..

i had that problem, it was balljoints, and the next time after that, it was running them for too long uninflated (well, at 32 lbs but of course i didnt know that the manufacturer specs said to run them at 42 lbs even tho the max was 32, in other words the tires were too narrow for the car, and would not hold the weight)

Dude, are you sure the tire didn't come to you like that?

I don't see how in a matter of like 2 months of driving a tire would get that bad and not notice anything in the steering and handling of the car. :shrug:

I see camber kits in your future. You may have some worn suspension parts but that looks like too much negative camber on that wheel.

Both of my front tires wore like that until I installed camber kits.

I don't see how in a matter of like 2 months of driving a tire would get that bad and not notice anything in the steering and handling of the car. :shrug:

Im thinking it did and i just didnt notice it since i was too excited to get them on..theres no way in hell a tire can go to that kind of tread :eek:

i dunno I think that it could happen faster then you think ... pretty sure the tires where decent before leaving on my father car years ago for Carlisle ... by the time we got back one was almost worn to the belts from the concrete they use for highways out that way ....

x2. I was in a rush to get to Carlisle last year as well, put on a new tie rod end, but no one could get me in for an alignment before I left. The trip out and back, then a few hundred more miles before an alignment killed both my front tires, and they were only about three months old.:blackeye: Ooops!

x2. I was in a rush to get to Carlisle last year as well, put on a new tie rod end, but no one could get me in for an alignment before I left. The trip out and back, then a few hundred more miles before an alignment killed both my front tires, and they were only about three months old.:blackeye: Ooops!

since the only setting in the front is toe you can set it yourself for the most part ... as long as your wheel is straight you can adjust be measuring from the center of each wheels front and back so that I you set your toe in ...

Yeah, my money is on them already being worn when you got them. I mean, your last tires would of been trashed too if that was the case.

the pilot sports were perfectly fine :shrug:

how can they be worn, I checked them the other day and all the bushings seemed to intact and everything looked good..

Back