• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wheel bearings?

Ft.WorthSVT

CEG'er
I was trying to find the how-to on changing wheel bearings but can not find it. Can someone please post it or explain how to do it. Sorry, not trying to be a pain just can not find it. Thanks.

You're looking for a how-to so you can do it yourself? Basically you just take the knuckle off the car, put it on your bench press, press the two pieces apart, press the bearing out, press the new bearing in, press the pieces back together and put it back on the car.

I've seen it done with a rental wheel bearing press (big u-clamp type thing) using sockets as adapters for my old mazdas but couldnt do it myself when I tried.

I'd just take it to a local shop to have one pressed in after you've removed the knuckle. I think Pep Boys does it.

Cool, thanks. Is the knukle a PITA to take off?

Depends. If the previous owner's torque specs were RFT, like my car, you could be out of luck without air tools. Otherwise, it's relatively easy with the right tools including tie rod end and ball joint separators. 6 bolts total IIRC (Strut pinch, ball joint pinch, brake line, sway bar end link, strut cap, and tie rod end).

Back