• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus RS spotted in MI

This is a real piece of engine of engineering focused on performance and control.

For did evaluated to use an AWD system, but the cost and extra weigh it will add to the car move the decision towards FWD (it has a Quaife limited slip differential to reduce torque steer and improve traction).

As for size, is uses the same platform of the current Volvo S40 and previous mazda 3.

The engine is based also on the 5 cylinder Volvo engine used on S40, C30, XC90, and other cars. More closely will be to say that it is the current Focus ST engine that has gone trough a re-engineering process (from 225hp on the ST to 301hp on the RS) to be almost the same as the engine used on the Volvo S60R (bigger turbo). It is a turbo engine, where the turbo housing is part of the exhaust manifold (on most common turbo engine designs, the turbo has its own single housing).

Other engine modifications from that on the Focus ST are unique camshafts, a revised cylinder head and gasket and revised intake and exhaust manifold system (including the bigger turbo)

Previous generation of the Focus RS were very difficult to handle due to a very bad torque steer. Modifications on suspension start with 40 mm wider track leading to a modification for wider wheel arches, stronger and longer drive shafts, harder springs and dampers, thicker and longer rear anti-roll bar, a modified version of the McPherson suspension which Ford called 'RevoKnuckle', which is designed to reduce unwanted steering disturbance and torque steer, and it’s impact in handling and steering in front-wheel vehicles which so much power (electronics also help by not sending all the power to the wheels in front and second gears). The Quaife LSD helps to put the power on the tire with grip.

Ford also worked with the brakes, using with 336mm ventilated front discs and 300mm rear discs. Wheels are 19”.

The interior has “good” materials, could be better, the sculpted Recaro high-performance seats and help a lot with the interior image. 6 speed transmission, star button (no key), “luxury” gadgets like rain sensing and electric heated windshield, auto lamp, voice controlled radio, CD, climate and phone.

I would get one of this without a doubt, Mexico's brand manager gives a good chance they get here before the end of 2009

I heard they were planning on bringing this to the states... but man I wonder what the price is going to be on that thing... probably mid $30k's to low $40k's.

The rumor is that bringing them over is too expensive and they would need to be built here to bring the cost down where people would actually buy one instead of a Mustang or Camaro.

As for price. I'll speculate $28-$30K.

Will be a hard sell at that price as the 2009 WRX is a monster now that is has been retuned and in the FWD high HP segment you still have the all new MS3 for $24K and Cobalt SS for $23K.

At $30K it will be competing heavily with the Mustang GT and base 370Z's ($31K). A full tilt WRX is $31K.

Will be a good niche car for Ford and hopefully they sell a few thousand units a year. I'd expect heavy discounts after the first year of production which the fan-boi's will gobble up.

You're right about the new WRX being a monster for power/fun on a budget. Also the new Camaro V6 at ~$25k is a nice alternative for the rwd fans.

The rumor is that bringing them over is too expensive and they would need to be built here to bring the cost down where people would actually buy one instead of a Mustang or Camaro.

I thought the plan was to build them here.

As for price. I'll speculate $28-$30K.

Will be a hard sell at that price as the 2009 WRX is a monster now that is has been retuned and in the FWD high HP segment you still have the all new MS3 for $24K and Cobalt SS for $23K.

At $30K it will be competing heavily with the Mustang GT and base 370Z's ($31K). A full tilt WRX is $31K.

Will be a good niche car for Ford and hopefully they sell a few thousand units a year. I'd expect heavy discounts after the first year of production which the fan-boi's will gobble up.

This car competes with the STI (not the WRX) and the Mitsubishi EVO. The market share it focuses at is an all different than the one for mustang or other pony cars, or even the 370Z. The Focus RS has a very different setting for handling and power balance.

Evo10_White.jpg

IMG00146-20090503-2023.jpg

Just posting an opinion, figures I get jumped about it. Even though the fifth post in this thread said the same thing :rolleyes:

calm down rawb. u get on the attack quite rapidly. u posted an opinion, and u got feedback. i didnt see anyone "jump" on u. as for the car, i'd save my pennies for one. i hope ford doesnt make like 2million of them. a little exclusivity on this car would be nice:).

It might have some similarities in the front lower bumper area but the RS looks a lot better than the Evo. I guess I was right in the car being in RO.

Back