• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What to do with my 1996 Mondeo V6?

Ronan

CEG'er
Hi all! I haven't posted here in a while, but have been checking in. I moved last year from Dublin, Ireland to San Francisco, CA. I have a modified Mk1 Mondeo V6 which puts out 209hp & 191 lbs/ft (last dyno) which I LOVE, and gave to my younger bro back home because I couldn't bear to sell it.

Now, over here, I've got a 2008 VW GTI 4-door and I'm enjoying that. My younger bro back home is about to buy a new shape Audi A3 (3-door, sold in Europe!) so my Mondy basically will be looking for a home.

Because the economy has contracted so much in Ireland, no one will buy my car, the 2.5 engine is over $1500 for tags/year, but the insurance and fuel costs (its at least twice the cost in the US).

I'm half thinking of advertising the car for sale on the www.fordmondeo.org site, and I know I would get a ton for parting her.

I'd rather it went to a good home, and my other though has been around importing it to the US and regestering it as a Contour, (since they are basically the same).

If I were to do that, the steering wheel would be on the wrong side!

Does anyone know if I can do that? If I can't legally import the car, I could always bring it in as a track car :)

Any suggestions?

The mods are in the sig below. I know it wont pass smog in CA.

It sounds like a beasty and I love it! :)

There's a guy who lives near me that has a right-hand drive Lotus. I've also seen a Silvia that's right hand drive running around the area. So it's possible to import it, but I'm not sure what you'd need to do in your area. Call up the DMV and ask. The worst they can tell you is no, right? Good luck!

most likely not gonna happen in california. theres a handful of mondeos here in the states, but from what i hear, its a real pain to get it on the road. they'll just laugh at you if you try to register it as a contour. i'd give it a shot if you tell them you recently moved here and would like to bring your car with you.

Back