• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help--It stays at 2500+ rpms and won't come down!!

Harrry

Addicted CEG'er
Okay i was installing an upgraded lim on my svt. As soon as i started the car up, it rev'd to 1200 rpms. So aftering look around the engine bay...i started to tackle the vacume lines. Nothing was disconnected, I didn't even hear a hissing sound at all. So i thought i might double check the manifold gaskets again and retorqe them to spec.

So i remove the upper and put 100inch pounds to the screws on the lower. I then reinstall the UIM and connect everything else. Once i connect everything i went to start it and it rev'd to 3k rpms and then idle'd at 2.5k rpms.

For 3 days...i'm stuck!! I replaced all gaskets...uim/lim, egr,tb,iac gaskets.
I took the tps and IAC sensors off my running SE and put them on the svt...and yup problem is still there!!

So i'm :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing stuck and i have no :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing clue what could be left. Purdysvt stopped over one day and we pressure checked a few lines. We found one to be weezing. that was corrected today. Now i can't find anything that would be causing this!!

So i reinstalled my stock lim and well the problem is still there. :mad:

ANy ideas...clues?

I think this happened to one of the cars at our meet a few years ago. It was the tb. Check the installation of the TPS (upside down, the SE is different from the SVT) and/or the cable (this was what turned out to be the issue in one of our cars, IIRC, it was Platinum Drew's car)

Edit.
TPS installation.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=108

Last edited:
I think this happened to one of the cars at our meet a few years ago. It was the tb. Check the installation (upside down, the SE is different from the SVT) and/or the cable.
yeah, sounds like the TB isnt quite closed all the way for some reason.

My car (95 se) was doing this, it had a short at the TPS connector. Dunno if this is a possibility, but just a suggestion. Did you reset the ECU when you tried the IAC from your se?

I replaced my tps with another one i had sitting around from my mustang tb..same problem :blackeye:

Mustang tps was on my car for 2 years till i took it off for this project. I'll grab another tps from a friends svt...

but if that doesn't work....i'm out of ideas.

yeah, sounds like the TB isnt quite closed all the way for some reason.

It does...or the throttle is stuck. As i took it for a drive....hoping the cel would light up....the engine accelerated on its own...and when i pressed in the clutch it was reving way past 5500 rpms...so i just turned the car off.

I think i might go grab a new tps at autozone tomorrow and give that a try. I'll throw on another tb just in case too.

I had the same problem with my Mystique. Searched high and low for vac leaks and anything else that could cause the problem. I ended up having to do the throttle hang fix with the copper pipe cap and the problem went away. A couple months later I pulled the cap out to see if it was still acting up and the car had no problems at all. I guess its worth a shot if your still stuck.

My throttle cables use to fray from rubbing on the inside of the casings and my throttle would hang at horrible RPMs and a few times getting on the highway I have had it stick open at WOT. Check the cables if the other options don't work.

I think i found the problem...thanks a lot guys! I'll find out more later today...but last night we got it to idle down to 1k rpms. But i'll do more testing today!

Back