• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

shiny calipers

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
So I finished putting the first few coats on my calipers, I'll post more pics tomorrow after I coat it with the finish I've chosen, but until then enjoy :cool:

Blasted
blasted.jpg

Coated
comparechrome.jpg

closeupchrome.jpg

Gotta love that finish :drool:
chromereflection.jpg

mirror black finish on the other half of the caliper
overviewchrome.jpg

thats different, it looks cool. I may have went with a the chrome on the bracket and then topped with a translucent red. And also the same red for the letters. I think the chrome and the red would look good together.

thats different, it looks cool. I may have went with a the chrome on the bracket and then topped with a translucent red. And also the same red for the letters. I think the chrome and the red would look good together.
read previous posts that is a base coat. the calipers will not be chrome when they are finished:help:
Cant wait to see the finished prduct Mike especially in person:drool:

Last edited:
If the chrome is a base coat it should not be fully cured yet.... :blackeye:...... Second coat might peel away later or spider crack pretty bad. Curious to see what you are putting on them. Looks good otherwise.

Well Tricker spoiled it :crazy:

But here are the pics... heh :drool: Took some with flash and without really hard to give an impression of what they truly look like in person, but you get the idea.

goldbaer.jpg

closeup2.jpg

closeupfront.jpg

If the chrome is a base coat it should not be fully cured yet.... :blackeye:...... Second coat might peel away later or spider crack pretty bad. Curious to see what you are putting on them. Looks good otherwise.

Not what I was told... so yea I don't know. Seems to have turned out pretty well to me :shrug:

Yah, just get a paint marker or a little jar of model paint. Wipe off where you don't want it and it's good to go.

Coating looks alright/not bad. I see some "light" spots where the chome wasn't covered, but we all have to learn somewhere. Nice :cool:. The gold is kinda cool, i like that color combo.

I really like it! Put the calipers on!....NOW!

I would if I could! I don't have my car back from my brother yet, he's still painting it. I think he will be done with it by the end of the week though.

So what did you do for the red Baer lettering? Hand paint?

Yea I bought a can of that dupli-color caliper paint. It has a plastic like finish to it when it dries. I used the stuff on my Camaro's cailpers and it turned out really well. So I picked up a very small tipped brush from the Michael's Art and Craft store, sprayed some paint in the cap, and brushed her on. Turned out really well in my opinion. Definitely takes some time though, fine detail work.

Coating looks alright/not bad. I see some "light" spots where the chome wasn't covered, but we all have to learn somewhere. Nice :cool:. The gold is kinda cool, i like that color combo.

I wasn't to overly concerned with the back side of the caliper as no one is going to be seeing it. The issue there was the powder wasn't taking well between the fins of the casting (had the same problem with the chrome). The system I'm spraying this with is not a professional grade gun and I do not have the means of adjusting the kV charge to the powder. So for the equipment and the time/money I have invested in this I'm happy with the results.

I wasn't to overly concerned with the back side of the caliper as no one is going to be seeing it. The issue there was the powder wasn't taking well between the fins of the casting (had the same problem with the chrome). The system I'm spraying this with is not a professional grade gun and I do not have the means of adjusting the kV charge to the powder. So for the equipment and the time/money I have invested in this I'm happy with the results.

Been there too. There are some people that have manipulated the begginer guns to put out some massive kV for better coatings. You might get lucky and find a how-to somewhere to modify what you have..... None the less, still cool to do it on your own ;) - Nice job

My first brake calipers came out like poo (well one came out amazing the other came out awful).

Good job I dig the chrome look. It's something you don't see a lot as well, which I appreciate.

There are guns for around 200 bucks with adjustable kV, I can't remember where I found them but it's a great investment. They looked to be the perfect hobbyist gun to me.

Back