• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pud Air Box vs NPG fenerwell kit

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
I'm debating on which one of these to get and am not sure which I want to go with.

This is my current setup.

d197_3.jpg

Its an Injen intake and obviously needs to be closed off or modified to pull from the fender. What I'm wondering is how well the Pud airbox works and if it'd be worth it to spring for the NPG kit. Could I even add it on to the Injen or would I have to put the stock tube back on? Really would like to leave the Injen on there for the looks if possible.

Opinions? I'm leaning toward the NPG kit but am still wondering if it'd fit as is...

i can cruise on the highway all day long and only have intake temps a couple degrees above ambient with my setup with pud heat shield.

I made a thread that compaired a kkm with and without heat shield. you could see that taking off from a stop the IAT would spike way up without the heatshield and it was over all hotter iirc.

Hmmm I was under the impression that the NPG kit did not require cutting. If it does then eff that. I'm also debating on relocating my battery to the trunk and doing some sort of mad scientist MAF in the fender jobber. I have a battery relocation kit that I never used with my Cobra just sitting in the basement. I'd just need a few distributor blocks... Probably easier to just do the pud though...

You have to cut...
sparks.jpg

The fit wasn't that great either. The piping needed to be bent a bit more once it comes out of the engine compartment so the filter doesn't smash into your bumper.

Screw that then. I guess I'll get a Pud airbox. Do you have to remove the hood liner for it to work? I'm probably going to anyway since mine is torn up and looks like crap when I open the hood.

Oh, one last thing, the guy before me was lazy and never removed the stock airbox piece that goes into the fender. I'm assuming I pull the splash guard and get at it from underneath or can I snake my arms up from the front bumper area?

I'm standing by the stock intake with K&N drop-in. Enclosed on all sides and draws from the fender. Those Ford engineers were onto something...

I'm standing by the stock intake with K&N drop-in. Enclosed on all sides and draws from the fender. Those Ford engineers were onto something...

Me too with my Dry Flow. Once I realized it was using the Mustang cone filter I didnt bother looking at any other "kits".

Isn't the stock airbox very restrictive though? With my SHO it was the same thing, factory cold air box but very restrictive inlet. At least on the SHO I could remove the silencer cone and rectify that issue.

And the SAME thing with my Cobra too. Stupid restrictive factory CAI but I could remove the rubber silencer horn to somewhat fix that issue too.

Depends on who you ask. In theory the "restriction" is the throttle body not the air box. I've only heard of a few cars where removing the factory box actually gained enough power to not be considered a dyno blip.

Eh, I'll probably just stick with what I have until I move the battery out of the front end and into the trunk. Then I can just weld something up going right into the fender.

I doubt you could even get a Pudmunkie heatshield anymore. AFAIK he stopped making them a long time ago. Occasionally there is one for sale in the classifieds.

you can still make your own. But I dont think you can call it a "pudmunkie heatshield" Maybe pudmunkie clone, or shiny metal heatshield, or the "magic metal square heat keeper offer thingie" (my 1st choice)

you can still make your own. But I dont think you can call it a "pudmunkie heatshield" Maybe pudmunkie clone, or shiny metal heatshield, or the "magic metal square heat keeper offer thingie" (my 1st choice)

Agreed. Still, that battery relocation kit in my basement is starting to look mighty good. After that it'd be all of 10 minutes to weld something up that'd work great.

i'd like to give that SVT Lightning airbox setup i saw a go. It was big enough to get the MAF in there as well !! ....G.

Well I messed with the idea of putting the stock box back on this weekend and...no. That bend area where the stock plastic comes through the fender is very tiny. I'll stick with what I have and work on modifying it later.

Oh, and I'm still wondering how you get that stock piece out from the fender. Remove the slashguard on the driver's side and go in from there? I'm going to do the brakes soon and while the tire is off it'd take like 5 minutes if that is the case.

Well I messed with the idea of putting the stock box back on this weekend and...no. That bend area where the stock plastic comes through the fender is very tiny. I'll stick with what I have and work on modifying it later.

So chop off the "restrictive" part and just let it open up into the fender.

Back