• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

05 Escape engine in, oil cap touching underside of hood

KAOS, I'm pretty sure the aluminium covers are as light if not lighter than the plastic ones :shrug:

well, since I now have:

98 alloy 2.5

02 plastic 3.0

04 allow 3.0

I'll just toss them all on a scale and see what we can determine.

I'll say the 2.5 ones feel heavier than the plastic ones from the '02...

Well, I stopped by the junkyard yesterday and picked up an 01 Escape valve cover with the slanted oil cap. This provided just enough clearance to close the hood without interference. :cool:

Now the COP mounting point is different on this valve cover so I had to rotate my coil on plug half a turn and the connectors are now pointing towards the front / passenger side, which kinda sucks cause I had a very nice harness made for the back / driver side configuration... :mad:

Would 01 Escape COP be pointing in the "right" direction with that valve cover ?

Thanks !

Are you talking about the UIM? Avenger is talking about the oil cap on the front valve cover. Does your UIM rub on the hood or are you saying that there is a difference in the valve cover design between the various 3L years?

sigh.....

there are plastic VALVE covers used on 02-03 taurus and sable engines.

the filler neck is a little bit lower than those 04-05 aluminum covers, it barely fits. here's a pic.

LOOK, VALVE COVERS lol. yes they are plastic, yes they are light, yes they work. hehehhee

l_cf154a8532164ed384cdc0730df94ae0.jpg

sigh.....

there are plastic VALVE covers used on 02-03 taurus and sable engines.

the filler neck is a little bit lower than those 04-05 aluminum covers, it barely fits. here's a pic.

LOOK, VALVE COVERS lol. yes they are plastic, yes they are light, yes they work. hehehhee

I didn't know there were plastic valve covers. I thought you might have been talking about a plastic UIM and I know the Escape UIM is taller and that there are some clearance issues. Thanks for clearing that up.

yeah, I'd like to run the mazda 6 uim as I've heard great things about it, though I'm unclear as to whether it's the same as the escape unit.

Back