• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Swapping Parts from one to another

blustreak

CEG'er
Is anyone not currently working that could help me swap parts from one nice Cougar to another sweet Cougar and make a Supercharged 3L ridiculous Cougar?

I'm in Atlanta but it would be done in a friend's BIG detached garage/workshop in Ballground, GA (about 45mins or so north of Atlanta). If I did it I would probably take a week off work and work on it straight for a week to try and get it all done ( I don't know that I could do it all myself and extra hands & experience would be very nice). I would be transferring a Vortech Supercharger kit, headers, a fuel system, radiator and a some suspension parts from my car and putting them on Fordrule's (NECO) car, a 3L with a beast of a tranny. Re-running the braided fuel lines and Vortech kit worry me the most.

I can give a lot more detail later tonight when I'm not at work but I'd be trying to do it as quickly as possible because I think I could only talk my friend into letting me use the space for so long. It doens't have a lift but it does have a lot of tools that I may not have and a big compressor for air tools...... Unless anyone in the area knows of somewhere I could use for a few weekends to do the transfers.

Anyone want to help or have any ideas?

looks like the cat is out of the bag

i wish i could come down to help since its my car. but i will try and have the car as complete as i can. do u have a spare laptop that has serial in. then i can have the xcal 2, pro race package (advantage 3 program), and the lm-1 wideband recorder also

I have a serial USB adapter that I use with my OBD scanner so that would work I assume.

I really don't think it would take a whole week even if I was doing it by myself but extra time is always a nice luxury.

I'd be more than happy to pay for all food and beverage for whomever was helping. I don't know how much I could offer to pay someone (because I'd be paying a large chuck of cash to get the car in the first place) but if you were coming from out of town but we could of course talk about gas money and things. We'd also have a place to stay of course. Either up where we'd be working on the car or down at my place. We have a hottub, theater room, bar w/ dual kegerator, pretty well stocked liquor shelf, game consoles (PS3, Wii, XBox, Gamecube, N64, original nintendo).

Someone that lived close to Atlanta and wanted to help for a day or a few would also be great.

Basically, I would want to make sure the car (Red Beast) could be driven and at least brought back to my place in town to go in the garage if all the major work had been done.

The other car (Blackie) would also need to be running and brought down to my place but it could sit outside in a gravel lot across from the house and be loaded with parts. That way I could sell that car with the extras right out or part it out.

For reference, these are the two cars. I have bought quite a few parts to add to the Black car already (Vortech Headers, new Walbro Fuel Pump, Optima Red Top, Adjustable Swaybar F&R Endlinks from the recent group buy, Harness Bar, Harnesses, CF Door Panel Inserts, the list goes on). Some have been installed and some have not.

Red:
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/fs-vehicles/133626-2000-roush-clone-3l-svt-hms-tranny.html

Black (originally Light Sapphire Blue)
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/fs-...-vortech-supercharged-sold-delete-please.html

Get up a task list of what you want to swap & order of difficulty. You might want to start on the SC first but I'd drop the SF put on the headers while I was doing the SC. This would allow you to plan out what you want to get accomplished & also help you keep both vehicles running. I could probably work out something to give you a day on the weekends. I've got next friday off, but have plans. Weekdays are bad for me.

I'm mostly worried about getting the Supercharger moved and if at all possible the Fuel system swapped over. This would probably include the gas tank because it has a hole in the back where the fuel line goes into the tank. The black car was originally a returnless system and is now a return style from my understanding. I believe the fuel rail was modified but I'm not sure how or if it would transfer over to the 3L. I don't think it would be an simple swap....... but I could be wrong after just talking another look at it.

I know a lot more about electronics than I do about working on engines. Given enough time I can logically figure things out and that's why I'm not afraid of the challenge but this ordeal would sort of have a deadline.

Like I was telling Fordrule, most of my friend's in Atlanta I meet at GA Tech so they're no really car people. All my car friends either moved away after graduation or live in my home town in FL.

....... I don't mean to type so much but I want to be clear on what I'd be trying to do.

man i'm trying to get my own 3l back up and running:nonono:. but i'm willing to help if time and girlfriend permits. I live a few minutes south of atl in clayton county. give me a pm when ya get a chance.

if it werent for SZ and trying to get my car ready for itI would be down for sure cause it doesnt take me too long to get to atl. I may be able to work out something though i'll let you know.

if it werent for SZ and trying to get my car ready for itI would be down for sure cause it doesnt take me too long to get to atl. I may be able to work out something though i'll let you know.

Joey mentioned he'd be gone the first part of May so it's probably going to be after SZ when this would happen. Not only that but the car may be going back to get the rest of it painted before I even see it in person.

If I had to wait a week or two for help I'd certainly be able to do that because having running well with the SC'er on it is what I'd be worried about the most.

hopefully i am able to finish the headlights this week before I leave. have the rest of the front end all lined up and looking awesome. i will deff need to post some pics of her....all she is missing is her paint

I'm retracting my formal interest in the vehicle so please don't worry about coming to try and help swap anything over.

However, if anyone is interested I will soon be listing my Supercharged Cougar, my DD LSB Cougar and the plethora of parts I have obtained in the For Sale section of NECO.

hes still on the fence on the whole thing. I might have a house guest for a couple days and have him do the swap at my house. just have him do what he wants todo and start stripping parts off the black car and make 2 piles... to sell and to be installed on the red one. rent a van, filler up with parts and drive up here do the swap and all that is possible. then if need be rent a trailer from up here and take her back to atl with him. i have some car guys that are interested in the swap....v8 heads....they are more curious

I am on the fence. I think a 3L Supercharged Cougar would be a lot of fun but it would pretty much become my DD. If I continue the way I'm going and do everything that I want to do to the Black SC'd car I have, I'd end up spending at least as much money as just buying Joey's car.

So, it's either buy his, swap everything around and sell off what I have left or part with everything and go with a newer car with a warranty that I don't need to worry as much about. One that would hold more than 2 people and I'll have confidence it would make it on a long trip without issues. I've been thinking about where I want my time spent in the future as I still want to go back to school but don't know where I'll be going to get my MBA. If I have a plethora of cars and parts, it will make it much more difficult to move if I need to.

Still contemplating...

Back