• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Auto Transmission Shifting Problem. Shudder, slip, and banging into gear.

J

JC316

Hi, new to the forums and I have a problem. I have a 98 Ford Contour with the 2.0L Zetec and a 4 speed auto transmission.

While driving, the transmission is having problems. The 1-2 Shift is fine, just like it should be; The 2-3 shift looses power for a second, the engine revs, then it goes into 3rd smoothly, like if you were powershifting a manual; The 3-4 is the worst, the engine revs, then the transmission clunks real bad, and the it bangs into gear, shaking the whole car.

Here is the weird thing though, if I bring it to 3/4 throttle, or WOT throttle, it shifts smooth through all 4 gears. I changed the head gasket on the car and I got the timing slightly off, thinking that it might mess the shift points up, I fixed the timing, but it didnt help. Also, nearly all of the engine wiring harness was cracked up. The insulation on the wires crumbled, so I stripped it all back and retaped it all.

I also changed the transmission fluid. It was really dark and smelled burnt (WTF Ford, why no filter?!?). I have no codes of any kind, pending or otherwise.

Now, I don't think that the transmission is bad since it does so well with the engine at high speeds. Yall have any clue as to what this could be?

not hard to do on your own

not hard to do on your own

Buy the trans repair book, make some spring compression tools from waste pipe and all thread, buy this set of tools (seal guides and band rod selector )on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ROTU...Z270364883795QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

And go for it. The only tools other than the above required is a marginally functioning brain, a few long screws for the valve body alignment and oil pump alignment tools.

If you can manage to pull the trans, the rest is easy. Just follow the instructions, buy a rebuild kit, band, filter and go for it.

jack stands are just fine

jack stands are just fine

No need for a lift (it would be nice though)

Back