• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spectre Performance

I know some of you have Spectre products. Can anyone tell me what are the product/model numbers for the stuff I need to make a warm air intake? To replace the intake box, move the air temp sensor, etc.? I like the prices I saw at the parts store but info was nonexistent. Or is there another warm air setup that is affordable and decent? A buddy with a 4-cyl Mustang improved his 1/8th mile times by nearly a second with his Spectre kit.

Why do you need a part number? Just head to autozone and buy the kit with the plastic MAF adapter and cone air filter if you think it will make a difference.

there's actually an aluminum one that is made for ford maf's and matches perfectly to a stock svt maf. its like 15 bucks, but you need a cone filter with a 4" inlet

I couldn't help but notice the eye roll. Care to explain? I have read about Dyoel182's feelings on CAI vs WAI (dyno vs perceived, etc.). Silverfrost, is it the brand or WAI or something else to get such a response? There are several racers at my local NHRA dragway that are using the Spectre brand products. I chose to go with a WAI partly because of the weather factor here. It rains. A lot. And roads here are just a little better than in Louisiana. So puddles deep and wide are common and unavoidable. I have no splash guard either, it was not on my car when I got it. When I move up to bigger - better mods I will probably move to a CAI. Also cost is a factor. $40-50 is pretty good for beating the air restriction. I have to be tight with my money right now. My surgery is in 9 days and it will put me out for a month or two. So are there any reasons to not get this?

^^ what he said...also the 4" inlet filters are right next to the maf adapter, the adapter is the bigger of the 2 that they have, i just drilled a hole in the maf adapter and got a rubber grommet to stick the intake air temp sensor into, i dont really think it makes any diff. performance wise, but it sounds BADASS when your wompin on it, i reccomend deleting the rear muffler as well, then it has a little rumble:cool:

probably rolling eyes cuz its like a ricer brand. i personally have a spectre filter and happen to think it is of great quality. the one i have is sizable too, has different size openings from like 2-4". compared to K&N and AirRaid, i think its of the same quality. would be curious to see a test comparison though.

Also cost is a factor. $40-50 is pretty good for beating the air restriction. I have to be tight with my money right now. My surgery is in 9 days and it will put me out for a month or two. So are there any reasons to not get this?

Is this a perceived restriction because you think the air filter is the reason the engine isnt making more power? I'm not trying to be sassy I just want to know why you think it will make a difference besides some added intake noise.

I couldn't help but notice the eye roll. Care to explain?

sorry, i thought you were joking about the whole thing. i never saw anything close to a one second gain from simply an intake, let alone a warm air intake. engines thrive on cold, dense air and i guess i just dont understand the theory behind it. i resited putting an intake on my third contour simply because it encouraged the moosing problem and there was little gain, performance wise from it.

To be honest, I think part/most of the second gain was from gaining experience with launching, shifting, etc. I am sure it isn't good for 10000+ HP but it "seems" to help. I usually run without my stock filter in after my first few passes. Not the greatest idea I know but we wanted to try it out. I did get some better times but not by much. One other benefit is that it will shut up some well meaning friends about how I need one. And my son thinks it's cool lol. I am aware of the science of it and know that true gains will not be experienced until other mods come into play.

To be honest, I think part/most of the second gain was from gaining experience with launching, shifting, etc. I am sure it isn't good for 10000+ HP but it "seems" to help. I usually run without my stock filter in after my first few passes. Not the greatest idea I know but we wanted to try it out. I did get some better times but not by much. One other benefit is that it will shut up some well meaning friends about how I need one. And my son thinks it's cool lol. I am aware of the science of it and know that true gains will not be experienced until other mods come into play.

Running without your stock filter, but with your stock intake box would not make any difference over leaving your stock filter in. Paper filters being a restriction is a myth. Your airbox is a greater restriction.

As for replacing your intake.... it's mostly on the specially calibrated butt dyno that there is a difference. Unless there are supporting mods, you usually wont get much out of an intake. Then even with supporting mods, an intake wont usually net you more than 5 horsepower, except in an extreme case.

If you really want to learn a bit more about intakes on the cheap, search for "pudmunkie intake" You will see several threads involving short ram intakes. Although what is different about it is that that adds an air box to reduce heat soak. Most versions of it are even aesthetically pleasing as long as you arent using a cut up garbage can to make it.

As already stated, you can buy the filter right off the shelf. I bought a Spectre Performance filter because it would fit a 4" MAF. I was surprised to see that several Corvette's on display at Carlisle, PA had Spectre filters on Prochargers and such.

I was surprised to see that several Corvette's on display at Carlisle, PA had Spectre filters on Prochargers and such.

Ugh I just had a shiver. You think someone with a $30k car would use something better than a $10 filter that they probably arent even cleaning.

Ugh I just had a shiver. You think someone with a $30k car would use something better than a $10 filter that they probably arent even cleaning.

Yeah, their compressor housings were even polished! :shocked: So either they ran out of cash or the Spectre is just as good. :shrug:

It probably filters as well as a K&N but thats not saying much really. K&N filters and other oiled cotton filters are known for flow and not their filtering ability.

I can't say whether or not it's as good as a K&N, but the Spectre I have is an oiled, cotton filter like the K&N. It's not paper, if that's what you suggest. BTW, K&N is now offering what they are calling "dry" filters as well.

I can't say whether or not it's as good as a K&N, but the Spectre I have is an oiled, cotton filter like the K&N. It's not paper, if that's what you suggest. BTW, K&N is now offering what they are calling "dry" filters as well.

No no I was saying that its a cotton/oil filter like the K&N although I'm sure a lot of people dont know/care about cleaning it out. I havent heard anything about them bringing out a dry performance filter but I can see why they would since they have to be losing sales to AEM and other companies now offering them.

Back